• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Does my growing season need to end?

Howdy,

So for my first grow I currently have 2 x cayennes, 6 x super f1s and 2 x yellow habs under a 400W HPS lamp and I've been reading a lot about overwintering plants.

My question is, given the light I'm using is it advisable to take the plants out after fruiting and overwinter them...or would they be fine in the grow box all year long?

To follow this, if I keep them in the grow box will I need to do anything specific to keep them producing fruit?

Thanks for reading and any useful advice is appreciated :)

My question is, given the light I'm using is it advisable to take the plants out after fruiting and overwinter them...or would they be fine in the grow box all year long?

Depends on how big an area you are covering with your HPS...if they are growing good and fruiting right now and have not been outside, then as long as you keep on keepin' on with what you are doing, they will produce...you need at least 3K lumens/ft[sup]2[/sup] for flowering/fruiting and good growth...

To follow this, if I keep them in the grow box will I need to do anything specific to keep them producing fruit?

IMO your main concern would be bugs/mites...I don't know where they come from, but sooner or later, if you grow inside, aphids and/or spider mites will show up...

it would be nice to see a picture of what your grow setup looks like Matty...

Thanks for the swift reply AlabamaJack

How rude of me to not up pictures with my rambling :P .....

5623fc01.jpg

926ffa40.jpg

Its a basic set-up in a box measuring just over 3ft x 2ft, so the area covered isn't huge. However I can't say that I've done the maths to determine whether the light is suffice.

I've been trying hard to keep the grow area clean, as I like anyone else would hate it if my crop was ruined by pests! I haven't had any problems with bugs so far and I'm keeping a close eye on the situation.

Here's a couple of pics of my plants at the moment:

Yellow Hab:

4c3bd8e9.jpg

Super F1:

83657937.jpg

Cayenne :

6cf863c9.jpg

cool Matty...and if I had not been so lazy, I could have looked at one of your other threads and saw what I was asking...

plants look good and healthy...

I think a 400 watt HPS produces around 40,000 lumens, so there's plenty of light there. Only problem I can see is having enough space as the plants grow.

cool Matty...and if I had not been so lazy, I could have looked at one of your other threads and saw what I was asking...

plants look good and healthy...

Ha don't worry, I'm all for laziness.

I think a 400 watt HPS produces around 40,000 lumens, so there's plenty of light there. Only problem I can see is having enough space as the plants grow.

That shouldn't be a problem as I have a new home for them to move into at the weekend :)

HPS lamps are primarily for fruiting and your plants look pretty small. I would try and replace that HPS with a MH until they grow a bit and then try and focus on fruiting. However I grew about 12 in a closet a few years ago and started them off with a 400 MH and the problem I had is the plants grew so big and wide I only had room for 2 after about 3 months. After the 3 months I switched over to a HPS for fruiting. Although I only had the 2 plants I ended up with hundreds of pods on each plant.

HPS lamps are primarily for fruiting and your plants look pretty small. I would try and replace that HPS with a MH until they grow a bit and then try and focus on fruiting. However I grew about 12 in a closet a few years ago and started them off with a 400 MH and the problem I had is the plants grew so big and wide I only had room for 2 after about 3 months. After the 3 months I switched over to a HPS for fruiting. Although I only had the 2 plants I ended up with hundreds of pods on each plant.

I realise that HPS are more suited for fruiting but it was a matter of finance in the long run (I wanted the better fruits (: )...and also the plants are small as they only sprouted as seedlings around 3 weeks ago.
As and when I can afford it I shall be looking at halide lamps, but for the time being this will have to do as I am only a lowly student!
Thanks for the advice though, appreciated.

Actually my goal is to always get the bushiest widest plant as possible. I just didn't realize that would grow so much and so fast under the MH light. The plants went from about your size to about 2' tall and 4' wide in a matter of about 6-8 weeks. So because of the large size I had to move all, but 2 plants out of the closet. The key is to grow it thick and bushy using the MH and then prune and switch over to HPS to focus on fruiting.

Actually my goal is to always get the bushiest widest plant as possible. I just didn't realize that would grow so much and so fast under the MH light. The plants went from about your size to about 2' tall and 4' wide in a matter of about 6-8 weeks. So because of the large size I had to move all, but 2 plants out of the closet. The key is to grow it thick and bushy using the MH and then prune and switch over to HPS to focus on fruiting.

Well it's logical that a bushier plant would give a higher yield as there would be more nodes when compared with a smaller plant.
In the future I shall be looking at the halide lights, how much would be a reasonable amount to pay?

That cayenne looks a bit fishy. They seem more long and slender in my experience but it could just be how the pods are growing with your lights.

That cayenne looks a bit fishy. They seem more long and slender in my experience but it could just be how the pods are growing with your lights.

Yeah I did buy them as small plants so they could be anything!! The pods were long and thinner, but they stopped getting longer and have just bulked out :/
I only bought those two for a bit of a fun, as they were cheap and I'm fairly new to growing.

We'll just have to see what the final fruits look like and make judgment then :)

Back