Does this look spindly?

Does this look spindly to you? I have my seedlings under a 110W CFL (wattage equiv. conventional lamp power): http://media.conrad.com/medias/global/ce/5000_5999/5700/5750/5754/575471_BB_00_FB.EPS_1000.jpg

Some seedlings are normal length I guess but some like this C. Reaper appear to be spindly, what do you think?

Pics:

2015-03-08-115258.jpg

My setup:

2015-03-05-224731.jpg

its getting there my friend , you need to get a reflector over your light to direct it downward , also some mylar lined inside your grow box . but gonna need to bump up the lumens soon to keep up !    a 4 bulb t5     
IMG_0111.JPG

It looks like its stretching a bit for more light. Here are two sister plants I have, one under 4 23w cfl's the other was kept in a starter tray as a extra about 18in away from the light source.

IMG_20150308_080123_237_zpswkiysmrc.jpg

good to keep the light as close as you can , to keep them stocky ,    :onfire:

chocolatescotchbonnet said:
my lights aren't the greatest, but do the trick....2 40watt bulbs and aluminum turkey tray.....

hey whatever works my friend , as you see i did the same thing , i've got 4 /5 more dome reflectors in the garage but been to lazy to put one more up . got 2 in there now .   :onfire:

Light drop off is quiet remarkable and not so noticeable to the eye... A supple test is to hold up a pepper leaf to the fluro real close then move it away you will see the huge difference in light penetration.. Reflectors are good and if you don't want to muck around with Mylar , matte white paint will actualy reflect more total light ambience then Mylar will as Mylar is like a mirror and reflects in more directly .. I used to have a Mylar coated box, but after painting it white instead found the total light in the box increased alot

I like moruga welder solution, with 2 lightbulbs in dual socket. Can I use aluminum foil instead of mylar? Store clerk actually told me 110W is maximum for CFL lights I doubt that but it is true I can't find any higher W lights in my stores, and even my lightsource is heating like crazy 122 °F!

So if I understand you comments my plants are a bit spindly and I need more light reflection and more wattage

future_man said:
I like moruga welder solution, with 2 lightbulbs in dual socket. Can I use aluminum foil instead of mylar? Store clerk actually told me 110W is maximum for CFL lights I doubt that but it is true I can't find any higher W lights in my stores, and even my lightsource is heating like crazy 122 °F!

So if I understand you comments my plants are a bit spindly and I need more light reflection and more wattage
yes there is higher cfl wattage , i have 3 that are 250 watts apiece , 15000 lumens ,also 2 t8 4 bulb fixtures , but i start mine a little earlier than i need to so i need the power !   :onfire: white is a better reflector but mylar will work its pretty cheap , just fold it cause it is a little translucent. 
yeah, after the local hydro store tried to charge me twice as much as the website, i decided to make my own lights!....more wattage for less money! 8).
one of my reapers under that light....
looks great !

moruga welder said:
yes there is higher cfl wattage , i have 3 that are 250 watts apiece , 15000 lumens ,also 2 t8 4 bulb fixtures , but i start mine a little earlier than i need to so i need the power !   :onfire: white is a better reflector but mylar will work its pretty cheap , just fold it cause it is a little translucent. 

looks great !

How much do your light heat up? Aren't you scared they are going to burn and set the house on fire, I know this is maybe silly but look at my small cabinet

moruga welder said:

looks great !

future_man said:

How much do your light heat up? Aren't you scared they are going to burn and set the house on fire, I know this is maybe silly but look at my small cabinet
nah , i got lots of insurance , they don't ( cfl's ) get that hot or draw that much power . as for your cabinet how long are they gonna stay in before you plant outside via garden or container ?

future_man said:

moruga welder said:

nah , i got lots of insurance , they don't ( cfl's ) get that hot or draw that much power . as for your cabinet how long are they gonna stay in before you plant outside via garden or container ?

Container when we get hotter weather here, probably in the next month or so

future_man said:

Container when we get hotter weather here, probably in the next month or so
you'll be fine within a month then ,     :onfire:
yeah, after the local hydro store tried to charge me twice as much as the website, i decided to make my own lights!....more wattage for less money! 8).
one of my reapers under that light....
watcha feeding them ? 

Having the inside walls white(Flat white paint or panda film) and a shade over the top will help al ot but even one more lamp in there will help so much more

moruga welder said:
you'll be fine within a month then ,     :onfire:

So you re saying they won't have any long term damage from poor light but if I would leave them like this for longer time they would suffer?

KrakenPeppers said:
Light drop off is quiet remarkable and not so noticeable to the eye... A supple test is to hold up a pepper leaf to the fluro real close then move it away you will see the huge difference in light penetration.
"Light intensity varies as the inverse square of the distance."
... In commonsense plainspeak, if you double the distance from the lightbulb, you don't get half the light intensity, you only get a quarter of it. At 3 times the distance, only 1/9th the intensity. Ten times the distance yields only 1% of the initial light intensity.

That cuts both ways... half the distance yields 4X the intensity, and 1/3 hits the leaves with 9X the intensity. That's the reason why there's so little difference between optimal distance and leaf burn, and why conscientious -- but inexperienced -- growers often give less than optimal light to their plants: at optimal levels, the plants grow much quicker... thus getting too close to the light in a relatively short time. The leaves can burn within days of moving the light to an optimal distance because -- within a couple of days -- the growing tops get too close. Then they get 'sunburnt'
The grower then overcompensates by always keeping the lights a little too far, and the light intensity too low. The plant stretches to compensate... and gets burnt again.

I did this for the longest time. The fact that some plants grow faster than others makes this problem even more, uhhh, interesting. No matter how conscientious you are, it's still entirely possible to get some stretched plants and some scorched ones -- both problems occuring at the same time!!

A wide/broad array of multiple light sources (ie.: t5s, LEDs) and/or a well-designed reflector (one that distributes the light more evenly, with lesser/fewer "hot spots" of excess light intensity) can really help a lot.
I think the lens-like nature of some makes of LEDs should help too, sinces they offset radiant light's normal tendency to disperse, but i've never worked with them.

Hope this helps.

future_man said:

So you re saying they won't have any long term damage from poor light but if I would leave them like this for longer time they would suffer?
no i'm not saying not to up your lights for the long haul , but within a month you should be alright maybe add another set of those bulbs . but you'll get by for a little while .  if your gonna keep them under lights then up them . 

Back