breeding Dominant Traits in Crossing Pepper Varietals

I'm trying something different in my garden this year.    75% of my plants were started from seeds I collected from last year's grow and all were open pollinated.

Now that pods are setting and getting larger, I'm seeing some variations that could be due to crosses, or possibly mis-labeling.

This brings up the question:  What traits are dominant and recessive when cross-pollinating peppers?  Under controlled conditions, of course.

Are higher capsaicin levels dominant?    What about pod size/shapes?  

I'm interested.... I have plans to develop something that keeps track of traits for different peppers with the intended use of "predicting" cross-breed outcomes, but knowing me, it'll be started and never progress passed have a few sets of test data....

I'm not an expert at all... But this is what I can remember I was told another place...

Red is dominant
Heat is dominant
Small pod size is dominant

But I will follow this thread for sure! :-)

Grant @JungleRain and Butch Taylor would be the guys to talk to about this. Im sure other members on here would know as well. Hopefully they will chime in

MisterBigglesworth said:
There's always the acedemic side :   

The Genes of Capsicum

I'm hoping for a more layman oriented discussion.

That is a terrific survey paper!  Thanks for posting it.

It's not exactly "layman oriented", but I did find a PowerPoint (sorry) presentation from someone at UC Davis that summarizes a lot of information about pepper genetics: http://www.plantsciences.ucdavis.edu/vc221/pepper/pepper08.ppt

Obviously there are a lot of genes for which a character is known but the interaction with other alleles and/or other genes isn't; for instance, there are several different genes in that big list associated with purple flowers, but it doesn't look like the relationships among them are known.  An interesting question that I suspect is not answered: Are the purple flowers in _pubescens_ related to the same genes as in purple-flowered _annuum_ strains like Czech Black?

I suppose the "y" gene, described as "fruit color lemon-yellow", might be the source of those tasty yellow _chinense_ types---it'd be interesting to track down the original paper and find out what pepper was used.

This thread right here?  This is why science is fun.

-NT

My test will be in the tasting.   I'll have some pics showing the variation in a couple of varieties in a few weeks.

For example, I've got two Bonda Ma Jaques, one with large dark green pods and one with smaller light green pods like a superhot.

Back