• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Dormant or dead

I have about 12 hot pepper plants, including carolina reapers, trinidad scorpions, scotch bonnets, ghost peppers, etc. I received a good bounty on each of the plants this year. All have now lost their leaves. I live in Florida where the temps rarely fall below 35-40 degrees. Can I keep these plants for next year or pull them up and start new plants next year?

gorillamotors said:
 All have now lost their leaves. I live in Florida where the temps rarely fall below 35-40 degrees. Can I keep these plants for next year or pull them up and start new plants next year?

I've over wintered a few...My temps a bit cooler than yours...

1I9TwZc.jpg

But I was able to bring indoors so the plant lived----But note the upper left corner looks pekid..

1fBKPZq.jpg

Trim the deadwood & rake the yard

vsNbO3i.jpg

Add a little nute infused water - sunshine - temps above75ºF and Voila!

Ikk2mpL.jpg

PyqAtwN.jpg
_

2D1vliC.jpg

TGn1XT2.jpg

aIFW0SO.jpg

gorillamotors said:
I have about 12 hot pepper plants, including carolina reapers, trinidad scorpions, scotch bonnets, ghost peppers, etc. I received a good bounty on each of the plants this year. All have now lost their leaves. I live in Florida where the temps rarely fall below 35-40 degrees. Can I keep these plants for next year or pull them up and start new plants next year?

What part of Florida do you live in?

gorillamotors said:
Just north of Tampa

You'll be fine to leave them out all season long.  Be careful not to let them dry out during the non-hurricane season, and also, don't get tempted to do a lot of feeding/fertilizing/fiddling, and you'll be fine.  I just started seeds in September, and we got a cold night in the low 40s a week or so ago.  It wasn't even a thing.
Start thinking about resuming normal service again in maybe March or April.  They'll definitely keep going, but something closer to maintenance mode.
There is no such thing as "overwinter" for anything higher than zone 9a.  You are most likely in 9b.

gorillamotors said:
All have now lost their leaves. 

I actually kinda missed/glossed over this before.  Can you post pics?
That's really not something that should have happened where you're at...

That's odd...  I just looked at 60 days of temp data for Tampa.  I don't see anything that should have produced a deciduous effect on your plants. 
For reference, I'm almost straight across from you, on the East Coast, and this is what my plants look like right now - I literally took this photo right now, for this thread:
50733258748_1910d9fc4b_z.jpg

I've actually had colder temps than what I've seen for Tampa, and all of my plants are in #1 nursery pots.  So maybe it would be good to ask for more info, here...  For that kind of leaf drop, I'd first ask how wet the containers are.

gorillamotors said:
But mine have been producing for about 9 months now and might be at the end of their life cycle.

Peppers don't have a "life cycle".
I've had plants that have gone almost 4 years.  Would have gone longer, but got wiped out by hurricane.

I had a talk with the chief botanist at a well known nursery supplier and he told that the plants had a mild freeze that told the plant to drop its leaves but not enough to kill it.

gorillamotors said:
I had a talk with the chief botanist at a well known nursery supplier and he told that the plants had a mild freeze that told the plant to drop its leaves but not enough to kill it.
So the answer to your question????

gorillamotors said:
Can I keep these plants for next year or pull them up and start new plants next year?

gorillamotors said:

What day did you have a freeze in your area???  I didn't see that in the weather data. 

gorillamotors said:
Yea. I just pruned the tops and roots and put them in new potting soil. I will see come spring time.

I gotta say man...  I've been in Florida for almost 20 years, and I've never seasonally topped and root trimmed a plant.  Not sure what others do in other parts of the country, but I posted pics of my plants, as they are right now.  I typically get a little leaf yellowing, and SOME drop.  But not what you were showing.  Typically, when I see that, it's accompanied by a pest problem, and/or overwatering.
How far north of Tampa did you say you were? ;)

Back