• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Dorset Naga and Habanero Growth Plan

I've got around 3 dorset Naga and 5 habanero growing in 2 pots. I only need 1 of each to get big and remain healthy.
I thought about using fluorescent lights, like this:
2 hours of warm white light
8 hours of cold white light
2 hours of warm white light as to mimic sunrise and sunset, although I doubt it has any beneficial effect over them if I do it in that order.
I only have one lamp so it's about the only solution I've got.
Will it work? Do they need less or more light ? The plants have just started growing, the dorset nagas only have 4 little leaves and the habaneros are at their third.

I water them 2 or 3 times a week usually, since they're in pots and it's not smoking hot inside, but past 20 degrees C.

Is it ok if I let more than one plant grow in a single pot? And if it is, should I take them out at one point and leave one? I was thinking to give up the habaneros for 2 dorset nagas, and I probably will, because I still have lots of habanero seeds. The pot is fairly big, I think I could grow a plant that's over 1 metre tall in it. I'm using an incandescent bulb right now, at 60 watts, but I fear I might burn the foliage so I'll give it up.

Im not to sure about the lighting but I think its best if you put each plant in its own pot.
They are probably at the best stage to transplant since you say they have their second set of leaves.

Yeah but they're still extremely small. I mean, I could fit tens of plants in a pot at their current state. Is it not ok if I take them out later ? I want to make sure they won't die in the meantime.

Also, do they have to be in the middle of the pot? Is it ok if they're a bit towards the edge? I thought they would grow roots according to their space, and that they don't need to be moved in the middle.

Well you dont have to transplant them now.
Its just much easier before the roots get established throughout the pot, and into each other.

Alright, any chance they might die? I mean, I'll take them out with the ground underneath, it shouldn't affect them in any way right?

A leaf off one of the dorset nagas has become yellow, what can I do to prevent it from dying ?

Edit: Now the leaf's fallen off. I'm talking about one of the first two leaves it grows. The other one's a bit yellow at the end, but the other 2 look perfectly fine, and a 5th one started growing.
Will it die?

same thing happen to a naga plant of mine after a while the leaves will fall off i would not worry to much just keep each plant happy in its own pot

As long as you see it form new leaves and grow normally I wouldent worry too much if a few leaves from below fall off.
That is normal for some lower leaves to fall I think.

yes it is normal, the new growth is the true sign of what is to come. I never would put multiple plants in one pot the roots could get all tangled. and one plant may have different need that the other may not and will have a hard time giving the right stuff to the right plant idk, not recommend that.

When I started seeds this year, I put too many seeds in together, and when it came time to transplant them it was a nightmare trying to untangle the roots. I had 5 hab plants that grew in the same pot, and when transplanted I ended up with only one that survived. I will never have more than one seed/plant per pot as it is much easier to start off with one per pot in the beginning.

If you want to grow a few seedlings in one pot, go for it. I would however recommend THINING the smaller seedling rather than transplanting and disturbing the roots of the one you really want too keep. It won't die but you WILL stunt the crap out of it.

Thanks a lot for the info.
I'm still having trouble figuring out exactly what kind of light they need.
I read somewhere that leaves only require cold white fluorescent light, so I got a really powerful bulb, at 27 watts I think, which gives out light as a 120 watt regular bulb. I'm not sure about the wattage but it's something close to that...
Can light ever be too powerful for the plants?
Also, I'm keeping the bulb lit 12 hours a day.

I think i'll do as you said, nova, anyway, i've got habaneros in the other pot, when they start growing too much i'll just kill them until I got 2, just to make sure one of them grows.
By the way, is there a problem if the plants aren't in the very middle of the pot?

I think it is ideal to have them in the center for even root distribution but the plant should be just fine but i always center it for the eveness.

Back