• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

review Double Review: Tropical Peppers Sauces

Today I am going to review 2 sauces by Tropical Peppers, the Xtra Hot and the Ghost Pepper sauce.
So let's get to it.

Xtra Hot: All of Tropical Peppers' sauces have a fairly nice label with a bird in front and a short description of the sauce on the side. The aroma of Xtra Hot is that of habanero and some salt in the background. The taste is very good, a hab flavor with a touch of onion. I noticed in the ingredients there is pineapple in the mix but I could not taste it which is a good thing since I am not a fan of pineapple. Although crushed habaneros are the first ingredient, there is not too much heat with this sauce even though the bottle says Xtra hot. A beginner could eat this in moderation while a chilihead could go through the bottle in a couple of meals.
Verdict: Heat 4/12, Flavor 9/10

Ghost Pepper: This sauce has pretty much the same label of it with one little twist. Instead of a live bird , there is a skeleton of a bird! Pretty cool, eh? Anyway the aroma is not what you would think. There is quite a salty note and it doesn't really smell like other naga sauces. Flavorwise, it is a little bit bitter and smoky. Most naga sauces have a fruity taste to them. I called the company and they told me the nagas are dried and then made into a powder. Unlike the Xtra Hot, however this sauce has LOTS of heat. Not quite like Blair's Ultra Death, but definitely like other very hot natural sauces. On the top of the label it says "More than one drop is suicide." Well, I wouldn't go that far, but it the burn is quite intense and one should use caution, especially those that don't eat very hot foods.
Verdict: Heat 9/12, Flavor 6.5/10

So which did I like better? Well the ghost pepper sauce did have the heat, but the smokiness put me off a little bit. The Xtra hot was rather mild, but its chili habanero flavor made it very enjoyable.
So for me the Xtra hot is certainly the winner. However, I would recommend both sauces since they are so cheap. Each is around 3-4 dollars a bottle. Some Louisiana sauces cost more than that.
They both really are a bargain.

Take care everyone,

Mark

The aroma of Xtra Hot is that of habanero and some salt in the background.
Anyway the aroma is not what you would think. There is quite a salty note and it doesn't really smell like other naga sauces.

How can you smell salty?

There is salt in the ingredients for the ghost pepper. It is right there on the label. However, I ran an open bottle under my nose. I can not smell any salt notes.

Back