Downriver - 2021

Well, I hear tell it's (past) time to start a Glog, so why not give it a try. I've been on here for years and always enjoyed reading them. So, I thought it might be fun to write one for a change...or not? lol
 
Anyway, for this year's grow, I came up with a few themes. First, I'm participating in a couple of the THP grows, namely the Growdown Throwdown and the P. Dreadie SB grow. I'm doing a Bhut grow and a Jalapeno grow. I've already had some successful seed pops. Left half - Chinense, right half everything else (three weeks later). Needing some potting up.
 
IMG_20210318_163553148~2.jpg

 
Also, I'm attempting to do an “old seed” re-stock. I'm going back to the original seed I received many years ago from folks and try to isolate and produce new seed stock. They have to germinate first of course, lol.
 
IMG_20210228_165614052 r.jpg

 
Then, there's starting tomatoes April 01, but I need to finish up the pepper starts first. More on toms later.
 
So, here's the players this season (hopefully):
 
Chinense
Chinense.JPG
 
Good luck on the grow DR! 
 
I see you also keep a seed database? Will be interesting to see the germination rate on some of the older varieties you are growing - did you soak them before setting them on the paper towels? I'm kinda doing the same thing with restocking varieties I have from as far back as 2012, but obviously with smaller grows due to space limitations. 
 

CaneDog

Extreme Member
Hey DR.  Glad to see I'll be able to follow your grow this season.  Hope you've had good results with the older seeds you're looking to restock.  Did the BJ Indian Carbon pop for you?  IIRC that was one of the earlier peppers I grew that produced really bumpy pods for me.
 

Downriver

Extreme Member
HeatMiser said:
Good luck on the grow DR! 
 
I see you also keep a seed database? Will be interesting to see the germination rate on some of the older varieties you are growing - did you soak them before setting them on the paper towels? I'm kinda doing the same thing with restocking varieties I have from as far back as 2012, but obviously with smaller grows due to space limitations. 
 
Never got around to building a DB HM, just a spreadsheet. I did soak the old seeds in a concoction, but results so far aren't promising.
 
CaneDog said:
Hey DR.  Glad to see I'll be able to follow your grow this season.  Hope you've had good results with the older seeds you're looking to restock.  Did the BJ Indian Carbon pop for you?  IIRC that was one of the earlier peppers I grew that produced really bumpy pods for me.
 
Thanks for following along CD. I'm just an old-school gardener, so you'll prolly get bored, lol. No, the Indian Carbon hasn't popped yet, and the likelihood is fading unfortunately. I do have some newer seeds from growing it out, but they weren't isolated. May have to use those next yeear.
 
Tybo said:
Nice record keeping DR.  Good luck with the germination.  Hope we have some good weather here this year!
 
Thanks Ty. I hear ya about the weather! Fingers crossed.
 
 

Downriver

Extreme Member
Here's another one of those “themes”, or projects, for this year. Briefly, Dr. Carolyn Male passed away in 2019, and her huge, mostly tomato, seed collection was disbursed to the grower community for grow-out and preservation. Although she was very well known in the tomato world, there were also a few pepper seeds sprinkled in. I was the only one interested in trying to grow those, lol. Problem is they're from the 1991-1994 era. I don't think there's anything particularly rare. There's little to no info on the varieties, but my guess is most, if not all, are sweet and annuums.
 
So, here's what I'm starting with:
CM IMG_20210322_104636456.jpg

 
...and into the soak (some at 12, some at 24, and some at 48 hr)
CM IMG_20210228_161355408.jpg

 
...and into the soil and on a heat mat.
CM IMG_20210318_133904582~2.jpg

 
If anybody is familiar with these varieties, please let me know.
 
Thanks - Wish me luck.
 
Glad to see you started a glog Rick...good luck with those that germinated & esp., with the older seeds...will check in to see how the grow goes.
 

PaulG

Extreme Member
What a great project, Rick. I wish
you good luck with the vintage seeds.
Will be interesting to see how many of
those will germinate for you.
 

Downriver

Extreme Member
I like to experiment with things new to me. I saw someone (Starr, Stanley, ?) make one of these what I'll call a SIP for seed starting. I like the re-purposing of the plastic bottle, and how well they actually worked for me. My biggest failure over the years is consistent watering of germinating seed. This fixes that for me. They performed so well in my test, I decided to use these on the Carolyn Male Pepper Project mentioned above.
 
IMG_20210228_164641411.jpg

 
Pappa Dreadie Memorial Grow
IMG_20210317_185455502r.jpg

IMG_20210317_185423346 r.jpg

 
2021 THP Growdown Throwdown
IMG_20210317_185512905r.jpg

 
IMG_20210317_193449724r.jpg
 
DownRiver said:
Here's another one of those “themes”, or projects, for this year. Briefly, Dr. Carolyn Male passed away in 2019, and her huge, mostly tomato, seed collection was disbursed to the grower community for grow-out and preservation. Although she was very well known in the tomato world, there were also a few pepper seeds sprinkled in. I was the only one interested in trying to grow those, lol. Problem is they're from the 1991-1994 era. I don't think there's anything particularly rare. There's little to no info on the varieties, but my guess is most, if not all, are sweet and annuums.
 
So, here's what I'm starting with:
attachicon.gif
CM IMG_20210322_104636456.jpg
 
...and into the soak (some at 12, some at 24, and some at 48 hr)
attachicon.gif
CM IMG_20210228_161355408.jpg
 
...and into the soil and on a heat mat.
attachicon.gif
CM IMG_20210318_133904582~2.jpg
 
If anybody is familiar with these varieties, please let me know.
 
Thanks - Wish me luck.
 
That's neat.  Looks like a lot of old land races there.  I didn't recognize a single variety, but I would guess most of the one's labeled "Fryer" peppers are probably similar to an Italian frying pepper variety.
 
The one labeled "Fluorescent" caught my eye.  It'll be interesting to see if any of those germinate.
 

PaulG

Extreme Member
So you will have around 150 plants?
 
That's a major grow, alright! Can't wait
to see them in their full glory.
 

Downriver

Extreme Member
PaulG said:
So you will have around 150 plants?
 
Yeah, somewhere in that neighborhood, depending on what sprouts. If everything goes well, I'll put 72 in the ground and another 20 or so in pots, SIPs and RDWC system. I'll give the remaining plants to friends and family.
 
Top