• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

seeds Dr. Earth Seed Starting Mix?

I used some of this last year to pot up from a different mix that I started my seeds in. It seemed like good stuff so I started all my seeds in it this year. I have a good trusted growing/sprouting set up with heat mats that always works great for me with various seed starting mixes. This year, I had poor germination rates all around (which I could blame on my seeds), but my seedlings seem to be growing much slower than usual. Does anyone use this stuff? Do i need to add some nutrients? I may just be impatient.

Pics? Dr. Earth has awesome products and I wouldn't think you would need any nutrients for seedlings. Pics would help.

I can't seem upload any pics...My seedlings look healthy but are just growing a lot slower than I'm used to.

Soil isn't cold, air temperature in my growbox is 75-85F during the day and doesn't get below 65 at night. I'm just going to hope that my seedlings take off soon.

I used Dr. Earth potting soil a bit last year and really liked it. I hadn't heard it was bought by Monsanto but I will be looking into it now. I haven't used the seed starting mix though.

I bought a bag just to try out. My seeds germinated okay in it, but I also potted up my Carolina Reapers and Primo's
with it. They have been growing very very slow. I repotted them again just to change the soil to pro-mix with some
added worm castings to see if they start picking up. I decided I won't be using it again.

Thanks for sharing that roper! Glad to know someone else had similar troubles with it. I'll give it another month...and feed if I have to. I don't really want to change soils; too much work and the Dr. Earth was expensive. Looks like roots will love the mix when plants get going.

I put in an email to Dr. Earth to see if I can get a definitive answer about being bought by Monsanto. I couldn't find any reference to back up Armac's claim, not saying it isn't out there, just couldn't find anything about it.

After asking the wife, apparently I didn't plant anything in uncut Dr. Earth soil last year. I guess we picked up a bunch on sale and used it to cut our remaining Pro-Mix bales at 1:2. I have been interested in getting some of their 40lb bags of dry fertilizer though, so hopefully they come back and tell me they didn't sell out to the evil empire (Monsanto)

Felt like this was a question.....not a claim.

Read it on another growing board.

Fair enough, my mistake, I see what you were getting at. I still felt like it was in everyone's interest to get an answer from Dr. Earth.

Here is the email I got back from the owner of Dr. Earth.

Dr. Earth said:
Dear Brian,

Please quote me on this as I want to dispel any rumors immediately.

I have never even met anybody from Monsanto nor do I have any intentions to approach them. I own 100% of Dr. Earth, Inc and I plan to keep it this way for as long as I have my health.

Thank you for your inquiry and support,

Milo

Milo Lou Shammas
Founder & Formulator
Dr. Earth, Inc.
Organic - Innovation - Integrity
Dr. Earth "America's Independent Brand!"©

"Healthy Soil is the cornerstone of the prosperity of nations."

Milo@DrEarth.com
www.DrEarth.com

So, that should at least answer the question.

I have read it many places and it is not more than type in a forum, yet to see a single fact linking them to it. As for it not being true, cannot validate that either. [background=rgb(255, 250, 242)]Monsanto, Scotts, FoxFarm and Dr. earth all tied up in rumor buyouts. [/background]

Yeah, I came across the Fox Farm/Monsanto rumor, but I didn't see anything mentioning Dr. Earth. Pretty sure the Scotts/Monsanto relationship has been documented in print ( not that the media is any more trustworthy than anonymous forum posts).

Back