vendor Drax Peppers

https://www.draxpeppers.com/product-page/candy-coat-f3-o-p

I recently ordered from Drax. The order was delivered fast and seeds started to pop right away.

This fellow has some interesting interspecific hybrids. I would warn that many are not stable yet and also open pollinated.

So, while the diversity is great, be prepared to grow out a few seeds if you want to ensure better chances of getting what you see in the pictures.

On a positive, he does state this same warning on his site so for me, from what I've seen, his products are advertised as they actually are. With that said, I have not reviewed each and every pepper on his site.

I believe I got what I paid for.

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
There was a thread on this vendor that was mistakenly started in Hot Pepper Talk,>Drax peppers

I read over your post and the other posts and your right in the points you made. I often forget that not everyone understands what OP or open pollination means. What may be enough for me to make an informed gamble may not be enough and likely isn't for enough information for an informed gamble for others.

The seed I was most interested in Candy Coat was marketed as open pollinated and it is early enough in the hybridizing stage that I fully expect a lot of variation. What I am hoping for, given the fact that it is just slightly more than 50% C. annuum with a huge helping of C. chinense genes is that the variegation for which this plant is homozygous for and should be true 100% (if it was isolated) will in fact be variegated.

I know for certain that if the mom was variegated and I obtained seeds from that plant, that I will have variegation barring an outcross that may indeed have happened. I also know for certain, that if an outcross happened, my plants will be heterozygous for variegation. 

This plant has the potential to cross to C. baccatum easier as well given its C. chinense genes. So, again... I'm making an educated purchase here as I'm trying to work towards variegated interspecific C. baccatum and variegated interspecific C. chinense type hybrids.

Thought I would update, my Candy Coat (Capsicum 'Bhut x Neyde') x C. annuum 'Jalapeno' indeed has variegation from Drax Diego. So, now I'm really excited about that particular cross. With that being said, I'm still expecting some variation, but I'll post about that when and if I see it.

I’ve had decent results with drax peppers. Germination rates were spot on, and for the most part the pods looked like they should. Although it’s evident that he selects the best photo for his website and it doesn’t always represent the average shape, so it’s important to approach it with an open mind. If you are looking for cool new stuff, he’s your guy, but if you are looking for stable and consistent results every time, you would be better off growing ghost.

Open pollenation, that’s a word that’s always used incorrectly in the pepper community. I assume he means non-isolated. "Open pollination" and "open pollinated" refer to a variety of concepts in the context of the sexual reproduction of plants. Generally speaking, the term refers to plants pollinated naturally by birds, insects, wind, or human hands.
48313cc2e3d81bf2e0d95251903997ae.png

78e57afbaf77a19279d61d125a4c05fc.png

Jeffcontonio said:
Open pollenation, that’s a word that’s always used incorrectly in the pepper community. I assume he means non-isolated. "Open pollination" and "open pollinated" refer to a variety of concepts in the context of the sexual reproduction of plants. Generally speaking, the term refers to plants pollinated naturally by birds, insects, wind, or human hands.
I too was confused on this issue Jeff. After reading through WIKI-Open pollination I believe we should use their definitions:

"Open pollinated" refers to seeds that will "breed true". due to being pollinated by another representative of the same variety
 "open pollination" refers to pollination by insects, birds, wind, or other natural mechanisms

While I know this is imperfect and open to misuse at least we have a reference point to refer to...And hopefully not change. And I know not everyone will use it ----- but it's a start!

If we say that a pepper is true breed[SIZE=17.3333px]i[/SIZE]ng... then yes, if they are pollinated by another true breeding pepper of the same variety they should remain true breeding regardless of how the cross pollination or self pollination occurred as the peppers were both true breeding and of the same variety.

"Open pollinated" generally refers to seeds that will "breed true". When the plants of an open-pollinated variety self-pollinate, or are pollinated by another representative of the same variety, the resulting seeds will produce plants roughly identical to their parents. "

"A second use of the term "open pollination" refers to pollination by insectsbirdswind, or other natural mechanisms. This can be contrasted with cleistogamy, closed pollination, which is one of the many types of self pollination."https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_pollination#:~:text=%22Open%20pollinated%22%20generally%20refers%20to,roughly%20identical%20to%20their%20parents.

Back