food Dreadie's Black Bean Soup

Dreadie’s Black Bean Soup

This is something I haven’t made in a while . My wife and the other ladies at the un-stable where she boards her rescue horse Magic , are having a get together today. Wifey is supposed to bring something . She’s a sweet heart but has a hard time making canned soup. As always Dreadie to the rescue .

I’ve made this many times and like it a lot. I’ve made it Ital style ( vegetarian ) for friends in Reggae bands on tour passing through . I just use vegetable stock instead of chicken broth.
Everyone always enjoy this soup.

Today I started with 3 lbs Black Beans soaked over night. 3 large yellow onions diced, a lot of minced garlic , 2 large Golden Habaneros , normally I’d use more but the ladies at the un-stable may be tuff in the saddle but they’re weak at the table and can’t take much heat. I also used 3 large yams ( sweet potatoes ) grated. The yams help add a little sweetness but the main thing they do act as a thickener. Before the beans are fully cooked the yams dissolve and thicken the soup a little.

When making smaller batches the ratio is 1 onion and1 yam per pound of black beans. Garlic is to taste. I don’t really follow recipes to a tee but gives the basic idea .

The spices I used are ground cumin , ground coriander , and a little ground cloves. You want to be easy with the cloves because they can over power things pretty easily

So I fired up Dreadie’s caldron of love , a very large heavy bottomed pot. I sautéed the onions until soft , then added the garlic , most the time I would the spices now and cook for a few minutes. Until it gives off a great aroma. Then in goes the rinsed and drained beans , grated yams and chicken stock to cover. This time I added the spices now. I also added a little Red Wine vinegar and coconut creme.When the beans are soft I take about half of them and puree them in a blender. I add those back along with several large cans of tomatoes. I used diced ( Ro-Tel ) and whole tomatoes ( Hunts ). Cook for another 20 minutes until everything has blended good.

To serve , top with some green onions slices , cilantro , and sour cream. A few slices of lime to add the juice. And because the heat level is low I blackened some jalapenos and scraped off the skin.

Here's the photos of where I'm at now .... I'll post a finished bowel later . I have to send wifey off with nuff of this for the gals now. I'm going to cook another dish , then plate my meal up ...

BlkBeanStart.jpg

DoneinthePot.jpg

I hope to return soon ......

Peace,
P. Dreadie

P. Dreadie, that soup looks amazingly delicious! I have a folder that I have been saving recipes in and this one just made the cut.

Back