• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Dreadie's Corned Beef with cabbage and root vegetables

Here's my take off on this ...

Spice Mix 1…blend well
2 teaspoons salt
1 teaspoon white pepper
1 teaspoon onion powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground mace
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Spice Mix 2
12 black peppercorns
6 allspice berries
4 cloves
4 small bay leaves
1 teaspoon mustard seeds

8 cups beef broth
1 cup chopped onions
6 cloves garlic
18 new potatoes
1 medium head green cabbage cut into 6 wedges with a sliver of the core to hold each wedge together
3 cups bite size pieces of rutabagas or turnips or a mix of those
2 small onions cut into 4 to 6 wedges each
4 1/2 cups bite sized peeled parsnips
6 large carrots cut in half length then into bite size pieces

Day 1 …
Wash and dry the corned beef … rub in spice mix 1 …. Place in plastic bag over night.

Day 2 …Remove the beef for the refrigerator and let get room temperature .

Place spice mix 2 into cheese cloth and tie with a long string. Bring beef stock to a boil in a large heavy pot. Add the chopped onions , the spice bag with the long string hanging over the edge of the pot ( easier to remove ), the beef. Bring back to a boil now , then cover and reduce heat to a simmer . Cook until the brisket is tender . BUT not falling a part. About 1 1/2 to 2 hours turning it several times.

At this time add everything and cook until veggies are tender ....

DSCF3436.jpg

DSCF3437.jpg

DSCF3453.jpg

Wait. You re-corned already corned beef?

I was expecting it from scratch, brisket, Mr. Dread!

Too much hassle lol. I like the quick ways too. I was messin' cuz you usually cook from scratch.

Holy crap...I'd hafta hold my butcher hostage, pay his mortgage for a year, and shine his shoes, to get a fresh, unadulterated brisket around here! hahaha

I have big luvs for those of us that take what we can get find....and rock it all kinds right! Dreadie inspired me to new heights today!

...and it became a GREAT day! Thanx P. Dreadie!!!!! :)

Wait. You re-corned already corned beef?

I was expecting it from scratch, brisket, Mr. Dread!
Too much hassle lol. I like the quick ways too. I was messin' cuz you usually cook from scratch.
huh? ^^^ wha?
SO ...... MAKE YOUR OWN IF YOU DON'T LIKE MINE

Too much talky talky from you lately. Not enough posty posty. You are getting all Geoffrey Zakarian up in here. Its been so long since you actually cooked something that we forget if you actually know how. Not good Mr. Food Critic.

I've found recently that I prefer cooking a corned beef in the oven (gasp!), with a pot of boiling water placed on the floor of the oven before putting the roast in it's pan on the rack. Slap your favorite "stuff" on the roast and it seems to hold the flavor profile better. Last one I made I kept simple - old-style whole grain mustard mixed with brown sugar and hot pepper powder. The combo of flavor and texture was absolutely perfect. 

Back