• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

cuisines Drew's Hellfire Fish Tacos

Rather than re-copy everything and re-post the photos, I'll just link you to the blog that I posted this on.

http://texomaheat.blogspot.com/2009/04/week-6-and-another-new-recipe.html

Any recommendations on how to improve it, I'm all ears! The recipe starts around the first photo.

DREW'S HELLFIRE FISH TACOS
Makes 3 tacos
Ingredients
2 tilapia filets, about 1/4 pound each
Juice of 4 limes
Zest of two limes
1/4 cup olive or canola oil
1 tbsp ground flaxseed
3 red habaneros, seeds and membrane removed (optional for the truly masochistic), minced
A few dashes of chipotle powder
Baby spinach
Low-fat sour cream
Low-fat cheese
Salsa (if desired)
Sauteed onions (if desired)
3 whole-wheat tortillas
2 cedar planks (optional)

tacos.jpg

Outstanding recipe. One change I would make since some items are "low fat" is to lose the tilapia. More or less "bacon of the sea" and not in a good way. I would suggest snapper, grouper, mahi mahi even. Or cod. Other than that...looks and sounds tip top! Very well done!

Cheers, TB.

Nice, I actually didn't know that about the tilapia. I'll have to check out the fish counter at the local grocer a little closer next time to see what they have in the way of the snapper et. al. to replace it with.

Looks healthy. Are you asking what we would change but still keep it healthy? If not, I'd ditch the cheese for Monterey Jack, and lose the multigrain tortillas. Then (out of preference), I'd swap the spinach for watercress. Oh yeah, and as TB states, Mahi Mahi could be divine here. Make that blackened Mahi Mahi!

Ooooohhh blackened Mahi Mahi tacos... TB you gonna steal this one from me too? :rofl:

PS. Added the relevant info to the post from your blog, makes it easier for folks.

Nah....I won't steal this one THP. I've done fish taco's ..I dunno..for 30 years or so? I eat fish taco's at least once a week. Hard to go wrong there. The blackend mahi mahi would be outta' sight! mrs. blues has been on a marinaded soy/ginger mahi mahi kabob jones lately.

Texoma..I didn't notice it before but, where do the cedar planks come in? That's a northwest salmon gig. Myself, I always found that to be a foo foo marketing 'thang. What say you?

Cheers, TB.

I used them in grilling the fish, starting them atop the planks, then finishing on direct heat. I first tried it in a restaurant where they did it with tilapia. I liked it, and enjoy it with salmon and even chicken from time to time. However, it's definitely optional here as the nuances added by the cedar get pretty much overpowered among the habaneros and lime. I mostly tried it out so I could get rid of the two cedar planks I had left over.

TexomaHeat said:
I used them in grilling the fish, starting them atop the planks, then finishing on direct heat. I first tried it in a restaurant where they did it with tilapia. I liked it, and enjoy it with salmon and even chicken from time to time. However, it's definitely optional here as the nuances added by the cedar get pretty much overpowered among the habaneros and lime. I mostly tried it out so I could get rid of the two cedar planks I had left over.

You got the habs and lime right on. Go now and sin no more!
Joking aside, some friends of mine had great success with the cedar and salmon planks. I never cared for it, but their guest's loved it! What do I know anyway? I am such a loser...

: TB slinks back to hole :

Cheers, TB.

I made a really good honey bourbon habanero salmon last year gilled on an oak plank. It did take on the smokey flavor and was much easier to flip. I'd recommend it.

This sounds and looks delicious but my mind just can't get around fish tacos. Maybe I need to try them but they sound gross. To me tacos are beef..I haven't even tried chicken in them. I really do need to experiment more lol.

pepperfever said:
This sounds and looks delicious but my mind just can't get around fish tacos. Maybe I need to try them but they sound gross. To me tacos are beef..I haven't even tried chicken in them. I really do need to experiment more lol.

You really have to try them. They're so good it should almost be illegal.

Fish tacos aren't strange at all in Mexico. And blackened just sounds right to me (freck, I LOVE blackened dolphin fish). I gotta do this sometime.

Lots of ways to make a good fish taco. I usually keep it simple, fish, shredded cabbage, white sauce, cilantro, and peppers. Pretty much with whatever fish (not freshwater) is around at the time. Sounds foul to some, but we've used barracuda kinda mellowed out by marinating in milk before grilling.

Back