• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

dried Dried Bhut Jolokia

I stopped into my local grocery store and brand spanking new, just put on the shelf an hour ago were packages of dried ghost peppers(bhut jolokia) from India.
The product is distributed in North America from a company called Fried's Inc.

My intention is to remove the seeds, soak the seeds overnight and try to germinate them, I know this is a gamble as it doesn't tell me how the peppers were dried; I'll then make a powder out of the dried remains.

My question to the THP is.... do I really have to wear gloves to deseed these dried peppers?
(the reason I asked is my wife now knows when I have cut up fresh habaneros on the cutting board, even though I wash the board down).

I always hear that it's not possible to use the seeds from them due to the way that they are dried. I tried getting some of the dried Bhuts from India and they were definitely dried through a smoking method. Very smoky. I wish I could find some that were simply dehydrated to get their real flavor.

...and yes, wear the gloves. Even if you wash your hands, you'll feel it later if you decide to maneuver your junk (or eyes, etc.)

thanks roadhouse, I haven't opened the package yet to see if they have a smokey scent but that would be my only concern, since bhuts are extremely rare to find, at least in my area, even having dried ones to taste a bhut and experience the heat is an experience in itself. if I get a plant or two from the seeds what a real bonus.

I just finished slicing up a dozen or so orange habanero to dry for a powder and can still feel the juice on my fingers even after washing my hands and taking a shower - they were oozing in juice.

... I still think I will purchase true seeds online from one of the THP supported suppliers.

thanks roadhouse, I haven't opened the package yet to see if they have a smokey scent but that would be my only concern, since bhuts are extremely rare to find, at least in my area, even having dried ones to taste a bhut and experience the heat is an experience in itself.  if I get a plant or two from the seeds what a real bonus.

I just finished slicing up a dozen or so orange habanero to dry for a powder and can still feel the juice on my fingers even after washing my hands and taking a shower - they were oozing in juice.

... I still think I will purchase true seeds online from one of the THP supported suppliers.

I have a ton of dried Bhuts (gross over statement) . These are from Canada. I have not tried growing from those pods. These are dried at home in a dryer.

If you send me a sabse, then I can send you some. 

NJA

I would stick a few seed in dirt and see what happens, you never know if they are a product of India they maybe they were sun dried. All you need is one seed to germinate and then maybe a large plant that will produce the good seed for you.

If you send me a sabse, then I can send you some.

thank you NJA, but what's a sabse...I am guessing "self addressed sealed envelope"?

I would stick a few seed in dirt and see what happens, you never know if they are a product of India they maybe they were sun dried. All you need is one seed to germinate and then maybe a large plant that will produce the good seed for you.

Yes,PRF that is my intention first, if I am challenged I might take NJA up on his kind offer but I have no problem purchasing seeds, there are several other varieties that I would like to a try growing and would purchase all at one time at to not waste a suppliers time with 1 package of $5.00 seeds and shipping cost of $20.00. I stumbled on the Bhut today and said let's give her a shot(normally I would think about it, analyze it, research it, use visionary meditation on the which growing methodology I am going to attempt and by the time I am done the store would have either gone out of business or quit carrying the product). This year my focus is on fatalii and I am babying some small ones. I went out to a couple of Carribean/African market stores and found one with a fridge of rotten habanero and another with very nice frozen scotch bonnets(I may go back and purchase a bag - just at the analyzing stage, I sure they will be out of business at the end of my thought process).

I also have to be careful as the wife is getting a little upset with all the infantlings on the kitchen table, use to be only 1 small tray with several plants, today its several trays and several large totes to carry the larger plants inside and outside. The nights are still way to cold for peppers to be outside - daytime only(except today when we had a small downturn in the weather).

I never used gloves chopping and de-seeding orange Habaneros; I paid the price, no problem, until I rubbed my eyes. I have never found a soap or anything that will get the oil out of my skin. Given the heat potential of the bhuts; I would wear gloves. I just planted 2 varieties and I'm not going to chance the eye rub again. That is a transcendent experience, trust me. ;)

I heared other oils or milk can get rid of it.

Another thing that could work would be a degreaser / degreasing agent.

Are the pods even ripe? I've had dried bhuts many years ago from Assam and I believe they were picked green and likely were dried in the hot sun

I never used gloves chopping and de-seeding orange Habaneros; I paid the price, no problem, until I rubbed my eyes. I have never found a soap or anything that will get the oil out of my skin. Given the heat potential of the bhuts; I would wear gloves. I just planted 2 varieties and I'm not going to chance the eye rub again. That is a transcendent experience, trust me. ;)

I've found that the Simple orange and other mechanic type soaps work better than any others. I also have used Rubbing alcohol with great results. Same with putting mouth fire out. If it gets to hot for me, I swish a mouthful of rum or Tequila and the heat goes down a lot.

I still always wear gloves when I cut up anything other than Bells. One taint scratch and adjustment after working with some Habs and that was all I could take of it. I'm super careful now.

As far as trying the Bhut's out, go for it. I had a bunch of Pasilla's and Guallio's that came from the store that I was able to germinate. They grew really,REALLY slow though. Some of the Guallio's are still just on the start of their first true leaves, and have been so for about 2 months. The Pasilla's missed a few waterings and croaked so I'm not sure how well they would have done.

Are the pods even ripe? I've had dried bhuts many years ago from Assam and I believe they were picked green and likely were dried in the hot sun

Again, don't know much about the original pods only that they are dried and I don't know how they were dried or even roasted; the packaged says ingredients: dried Bhut Jolokia peppers and they cost $4.99 for the 25 oz package. The pods vary in colour from dark brown to really dark brown with a red hue about them.

Once I open the package and deseed them, I will soak the seeds for 24 hours with some hopes of rehydration and for germination I will try both the baggie method and planting in promix HP. I will keep them in my started container with heater pad .... we'll see what happens.

Since this is my first experience with mr jolokia I proceed with caution..... the package also has warnings on it and suggests using rubber gloves.

Use gloves if you have them! If you don't then use tongs or tweezers or something like that. Even the dried ones will hurt you if you do the wrong thing afterwards. I use snus and I almost wanted to amputate my my lip after I broke off and cruched some dried Douglah between my fingers just before I put a pris in.

I see how snusokia could hurt the forward brain lopes, ouch!

I've pulled out my needle nose pliers, regular pliers, selective knives, disposible papertowels .... have to keep everything away from where the kids work and play.

Now I have a little anxiety and some adventurous feelings going on, had my morning coffee, walked the kids to school, stopped at a neighbours and was invited to read one of his poems(proud old German fellow, helped with chicken wire fencing around his flower bed as the local jack rabbits are feasting on his tulips), now I just finished my morning orange juice, my eyes are still trying to focusing on smaller close up things but the morning hand shakes are subsiding... I'll wash my face again before starting.

....... here we go!

wooooo, no have not touched the peppers yet, submitting the last post had this reply box blow up to to about 5 times its normal display and then recovered, as I looked up at my profile picture it had a number 1 in the righthand corner(which means there is a message waiting), I clicked on the message and it was a message from October 2009(I had already read the message in 2009). I know the new message wasn't there before because when the new forum came out, I notice some of my profile was changed. my computer is a rocket and about a year old and has the graphics card is still quite current.

...anyone else experiencing small warts with the new forum?

Just finished operating on 3 of the pods, lots of seeds but don't think they are any good.

First thing you notice is a smokey sent, the pods are not hard and dry but soft, almost moist. The seeds are carmell in colour and not yellowish/white.

My guess is the pods were hot smoked before being packaged and guessing the seeds are no good, I will still further dried the pods and they won't grind up very nice with the current moisture content...... darn!

Looks like I'm a bit late on providing an opinion but what the heck.

I recently went through seeds I have had stored since September of last year. They were all removed prior to drying the pods and air dried then placed in plastic vials and sealed. Didn't even think about using gloves. As I was sorting them out and placing some back in vials and others in plastic bags I started licking my thumbs to get a better grip on opening the bags. Shouldn't have done that. Damn things don't ever quit do they?

BC sounds like the seeds are goners. If it was me I think I would still drop half a dozen in some dirt. You just never know. Heck maybe you'll come up with a new "Smoked Bhut" pepper! Good luck.

You paid $4.99 for 25 oz
Yes, about 8 pods, some the size of my thumb(I have big thumbs), the dried habaneros are $ 3.99/pkg. I found the same dried habaneros at a speciality Italian supermarket and they were $13.99/lb.

I think I would still drop half a dozen in some dirt
I put the seeds in water to soak for the afternoon, I came home and stirred the water to clean up the seeds and..... just had to do it... I licked my fingers.... even the water is hot!!!
Picking through the seeds that look the whitest with no brown centres and we will see what gives, I am not going to use up Promix for this, I will use my cheaper soils.

I licked a piece of the placenta earlier and it packs some heat ..... but the water that houses the seeds ???? amazing.

Back