• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Dried ghost peppers, will they sprout?

I found a package of dried "Ghost Chiles" at the grocery today. Believe me, I was very surprised. The package says they are "also called naga jolokia or bih jolokia." I was about to put them back on the shelf until I saw "product of India" down in the corner. $4 for about a dozen smallish pods. The flavor is definitely in the superhot category and very smoky and sweet. It is so smoky that I wonder if they dried them in a smokehouse.

Anyway, I am going to try and get these to sprout and I am wondering what you think the odds are?

A dozen pods? You may have up to 50+ seeds! Plant them- what do you have to loose ?
It am willing to bet you will have more fun than playing the lottery, and your odds are likely a lot better!

I bought some of these and the seeds didn't look like they were good for planting. I could have been wrong but they looked smoked, like you said so I didn't bother with them. Di you get them at an HEB?

I have heard of people growing pods from seeds in the 'crushed red pepper' from pizza places, so I wouldn't be surprised if you got a few to sprout. What do you have to lose? Besides time and money anyway. :) But, seriously... plant them, and let us know what happens!

Typically the pods from India are smoked, occasionally they are sun dried. I have some trying to germinate now, but I am just about ready to give up on them.

They were bought at an HEB, "Frieda's" brand. I am betting on smoked, but there still could be some viable seeds. I'll put some in starter pots tomorrow and see what happens.

Oh Wow, I bought a pack of 16 Pods for 6 Dollars once, Each Pod had about 25 Seeds Each, I Planted the Seeds and about 80% of the Seeds did Sprout even thought They were Dried, Seeds are Pretty Strong

Yeah I think the distinction is between dried and smoked. The seeds from the pods I dry seem to be viable, but I dry them at around 100 degrees. The smoked peppers I sell so far don't seem to be viable, but its only been about three weeks so they could still prove me wrong.

I would presume they were smoked at too high a temperature, pods sold commercially as food tend to be processed in the most expedient/cheapest way instead of a long cool(er) smoke period.

Back