• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

dried dried Indian peppers, fried, salted

Hi,

I got some of these dried Indian peppers at a local Indian grocery. They are like cayenne peppers. They are orangy or reddish, and I fry them up in some oil, salt them - WOW. Great hot snack. Anyone else do this?

No deseeding. Just lightly fry them whole in olive or canola oil, then salt well. they get crispy and nice. I am Italian on my mother's side, and this goes way back. Great on a slice of fresh Italian bread, but I eat them plain, like potato chips or something. My friend at work is of Puerto Rican descent, (loves Carribean hot food) and he loves them. We agree they are like crack cocaine. You can't have just one. Only bad thing is that you get the urgent bathroom feeling and burning stool later on. :D

You can do it with any hot pepper. Traditionally those long curly green hot peppers you can buy in most supermarkets - I don't know what they are called. (same peppers that chefs use to make peppers oregenato) You dry them and they turn orange. You fry them up this way.

I recently found that the Indian stores sell bags of pre dried Byadagi chilis. They are said to be "mild" as far as chilis go, but they make my mouth and butt burn. :) They are about 30,000 Scoville units, and considered mild.

As you fry them, they get darker. You don't want them to get too dark. They get a glistening red color. The taste is just awesome. The smell from frying them is great too. It would be what Satan's kitchen must smell like. ;-)

You get the oil real hot but then turn the heat down if it starts to smoke. Have the oven overhead fan on too. Turn them frequently with a spatula, until desired doneness. Then salt to your taste. I used Redmond sea salt.

Wikipedia says:
The Byadgi chilli has negligible capsaicin content making it less pungent than other chilli varieties.[5]

I didn't know that ~30,000 Scoville was "negligible capsaicin content". They make my mouth burn. They make other people's mouth and butts burn.

worlok said:
No deseeding. Just lightly fry them whole in olive or canola oil, then salt well. they get crispy and nice. I am Italian on my mother's side, and this goes way back. Great on a slice of fresh Italian bread, but I eat them plain, like potato chips or something. My friend at work is of Puerto Rican descent, (loves Carribean hot food) and he loves them. We agree they are like crack cocaine. You can't have just one. Only bad thing is that you get the urgent bathroom feeling and burning stool later on. :D

You can do it with any hot pepper. Traditionally those long curly green hot peppers you can buy in most supermarkets - I don't know what they are called. (same peppers that chefs use to make peppers oregenato) You dry them and they turn orange. You fry them up this way.

I recently found that the Indian stores sell bags of pre dried Byadagi chilis. They are said to be "mild" as far as chilis go, but they make my mouth and butt burn. :) They are about 30,000 Scoville units, and considered mild.

As you fry them, they get darker. You don't want them to get too dark. They get a glistening red color. The taste is just awesome. The smell from frying them is great too. It would be what Satan's kitchen must smell like. ;-)

You get the oil real hot but then turn the heat down if it starts to smoke. Have the oven overhead fan on too. Turn them frequently with a spatula, until desired doneness. Then salt to your taste. I used Redmond sea salt.

I was actually planning on trying this with some chocolate habs i've got and maybe some scotch bonnets as well. The fresnos i have would be awesome like that too. And i'm not too worried about 'ring' burn, it doesnt even faze me anymore. Thats a testament to good training.

I guess it depends on your tolerance. When peppers are dried, fried, and salted, the are an addictive snack, and one that is hot but not too hot is probably preferred. I couldn't imagine eating the same amount of a super hot variety. :D

My tolerance is up there pretty high. Its all those caribbean red habs i've grown and eaten that pushed me up the ladder. Oh, yum. I'm gonna try to fry some of those too!

worlok those Bedgi peppers you mention are just great,I get them from my local Indian store to,In fact there available everywhere around here and use them to make curry's etc and make nice powder i discovered to,Your right there a great all round chili and welcome:)

talas said:
worlok those Bedgi peppers you mention are just great,I get them from my local Indian store to,In fact there available everywhere around here and use them to make curry's etc and make nice powder i discovered to,Your right there a great all round chili and welcome:)

I brought some to work, and I am munching them as I type this, since I just finished my sandwich. They can say they aren't hot, but why is my mouth burning? ;)

They have a lovely medium heat id say and really nice flavor,Most of the scoville ratings should be ignored..If you find them Hot..as i do and really tasty thats all that matters ;)

I've been known to much a fried crisp pepper.

Where in jersey are you that you're munching Indian peppers? I live up in Edison which, as luck would have it (if you find that lucky that is) has the highest Indian concentration in the country. I still have to check out little India supermarkets for chiles.

Welcome from PA. How do you fry them without smoking out your whole house in capsaicin fumes? I'd get kicked out of the kitchen again for sure.

JayT said:
Welcome from PA. How do you fry them without smoking out your whole house in capsaicin fumes? I'd get kicked out of the kitchen again for sure.

Had to put a decent extra fan in mine..Or face the consequence of bbq in the rain and using the gas hob from that :lol:

Thanks for all the welcomes. :)

There isn't much smoking with the frying. If the oil starts to smoke a bit just turn down the heat. Also, make sure the oven exhaust fan is on the high setting. The smell of the fried peppers permeates the kitchen and that floor of the house, but it is a nice smell. You can always open a few windows. ;)

When I do it again I will maybe take some pics and later on post them.

I have to make a large batch for Thanksgiving. I told my dad that I will make them. He likes hot peppers, and some of my brother-in-law's family might be there and they are Italians from Italy and they like hot stuff too.

For the Edison guy, I am in northern NJ near the NY State border near the Tappan-Zee - not far from the real Sleepy Hollow. ;)

Omri said:
Sounds nice... will give it a shot. :)
WELCOME BROTHER! :D

Tal..Respectfully bows to brother Omri

mexican-188.gif

respect-applause-002.gif

Back