• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

powder-flake Dried peppers to powder

What is the best way to make powder out of my dried peppers? I tried a mortar and pestle and the powder was so fine it floated all over the room. So I tried a coffee grinder and it worked pretty good but not fine enough to go out a pepper shaker. Would really appreciate any other methods.

I have only tried a couple times, but my experience has been that if you de-seed the peppers first, they are easier to get into a fine powder in a coffee grinder. If you dont take the seeds out, you end up with larger pieces of seeds as well as larger flakes.

I use a mason jar, put my blender bottom right on the jar!
no clouds of dust! and you can lift and shake and blend some more! :cool:

Kevin

I use one of those as-seen-on-tv magic bullets that I got as a wedding present. Works well enough for me!

I use a mason jar, put my blender bottom right on the jar!
no clouds of dust! and you can lift and shake and blend some more! :cool:

Kevin

Wow ...pretty cool Kevin...would never have thought of that....kudos to whose idea it was...I can see a recipe for a chili "Martini" in the making......."Bond"....style

I've got a burr coffee grinder that was a waste of money for grinding my peppers. And as Kevin mentioned, I also mason jars (sm-med-lg) which work very well over all...and are easy to come by.
However,I still get some bigger flakes along with either whole or partial pieces of seeds mixed in...and I often have to grind for quite a while to get a fine powder to my liking.
I recently stumbled upon this 8 oz.Mini Jar from Oster. (it was buried in one of the deepest recesses of a storage cabinet)
http://www.oster.com/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=2927
It works like a charm.
The jar itself is somewhat squared off instead of cylindrical and there are 4 small vertical ridges on the inside that work like little speed bumps.
The vertical ridges redirect the powder back toward the cutters instead of allowing it to simply spin around the smooth surface inside of the jar.

I just tried the mason jar and it worked great. Thanks everyone for all the great ideas. I would have never known what my old blender could do. I think I will try removing the seeds next time.

I start by loading a quart jar, starting it, then walk away for 3 minutes, come back and pour from there to the pint jar, start and walk away for 3 more minutes, come back and pour what I can into a half pint jar(fill if there is enough), start and walk away for 6-7 minutes. Walking away makes it seem to pass quicker. Timer is your friend and always turn so the jar is upright and tap on a counter to knock the build up off the rim. Also always highest speed setting for finest, IMO

Make sure the peppers are dry. I mean dry. Dry dry. Really dry.

I use a coffee bean grinder too and what I found is while it's grinding you have to keep shaking it down. Just use your wrist and act like it's a drum stick but you're not actually hitting anything. You can hear the blades make contact with the material. Seeds and all come out very fine.

Good luck.

check the "as seen on TV" in Walgreens or Walmart....the Magic Bullet is just what the doctor ordered or order off Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/Magic-Bullet-MBR-1701-17-Piece-Express/dp/B001WAKFDY

Back