• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

dried Dried peppers

I would like to make my own chile powder,and dried chiles are scarce where i live. On a road trip this week, i stopped at a store that had a "few" (4) dried varieties. I bought a couple of Anchos, a big Pasilla, some Guailla(sp) and Birdseye. Would these make for a good chile powder?
If not, any recipe and/or source for dried peppers would be appreciated.

Paul

You will find a few threads about chili powders here at THP. The best thing is to try and error. Now you have four peppers. Try the single powders and the various combinations. Two of them, three of them, all four in different ratios. You will develop your own taste and own favorites. Add new tastes and new varieties every time you get a hold of them. You will have a lot of fun.

Be sure to get yourself a dehydrator and dry pods yourself. The dehydrator will have paid off within weeks if not days!!!

Chiliac said:
Be sure to get yourself a dehydrator and dry pods yourself. The dehydrator will have paid off within weeks if not days!!!

Days for sure!:lol: I'm so looking forward to next years harvest!

Great idea on the 4 seperate powders Armadillo.I would have not thought of that. The Ancho and Pasilla are still (semisoft? )Throw them in the dehydrator? Have 3 of those at my disposal.

Paul

If they are soft to the touch and not crispy, it's definitely a good idea to put them in the dehydrator for a few hours. Your powders will stay fresh for longer and won't clump that easily. Get all the water out of them!

as Chiliac says, avoid clumping by making sure the pods are crispy/crunchy when squeezed between your thumb and forefinger. if they are, then allow them to cool before grinding them or storing them in plastic or glass containers, otherwise condensation may form as they cool and you will get clumping and maybe mould also. I dry my pods at about 40 deg C for around 48 hours and my powder is great if I do say so myself!

the thicker the pod the longer the drying process. humid weather will also lengthen drying times.

Great mix...I generally whack my pods in the oven on 100c with the door slightly ajar and keep check on them over several hours. It depends on thickness of pods etc, but after a few hours most semi thick pods are ready to grind.....NICEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

I was thinking of butterflying? the big anchos and pasilla bfore putting in the dehydrator. What do you guys think about that?

Thanks for all the feedback :)

Paul

Pick thick pods yes its a good idea,But some dehydrators can cope with the larger/Fleshy pods than others..Experiment may be good :)

Paul R said:
I was thinking of butterflying? the big anchos and pasilla bfore putting in the dehydrator. What do you guys think about that?

Thanks for all the feedback :)

Paul

I butterfly everything jalapeno size and larger and remove the seeds. Smaller than that I just dry them whole. Let us know how it goes.

Back