• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

water drip irrigation system

Hello all. So I have been trying to decide on a drip irrigation kit for my container plants. Currently I have about 15 or 20 of my plants in containers but I plan on expanding that to maybe about 30 or so next year. So my question is which system is better? Keep in mind I don't want this too complicated which is why I'm ordering a kit. If it matters my nearest outside faucet is nearly 60 feet away from my plants so I will either need to run a hose or a longer main line. Here are the two I have looked at.

http://www.dripdepot.com/product/4942fb0075eb512997ce0300/drip_irrigation_kits_vacation_watering_automated_vacation_plant_watering_kit

http://www.dripdepot.com/product/478bf78075eb512997580100/drip_irrigation_kits_container_gardening_premium_drip_irrigation_kit_for_container_gardening

I should mention the first one has a timer which I want. If I get the second one I would have to add that which of course becomes more expensive. I am worried about the 1/4" line not being enough for future expansion on the first one. What are your thoughts.
Thanks

I've set up a drip irrigation system for my plants and had great success with it. That being said, you'd probably be better off if you go to Home Depot and get the Rain Bird kit (which includes most of the things you'll need except for the garden hose). Alternatively, you can buy the individual pieces for it there too. Here's what to get in your case:

- Garden hose (in your case 75' would be plenty)
- end-line adapter
- in-line filter
- 25 PSI adapter
- Backflow stopper
- 50' 1/2 or 5/8" mainline
- 30x 1/4" barbs
- 30x individual drippers (1/2 GPH or 1 GPH is plenty for pepper plants)
- 50' 1/4 dripline
- 30x stakes (to hold the individual drippers in place)
- hole punch (to punch holes in the main drip line to insert the barbs)
- digital timer
- end-line plug (to plug up the other end of the main drip line

You may wanna look into adding a fertilizer injector as well, which you can find here: http://www.irrigationdirect.com/irrigation-products-and-supplies/ez-flo-fertilizer-injection-systems/ez-flo-fertilizer-injection-hose-end-units/

For you, the 3/4 or the 1 gallon injector would be plenty for you since you'll have only 30 plants. I've used it, and it was an immense time-saver, since I only have to add fertilizer once a month, and let the digital timer do the rest. For my established plants, even with the heat here, I only have the timer go for 3 hours, twice a week, with 1 gallon per hour per plant.. For new plants/cuttings, I'd increase it to 3x a week. Oh, and I discovered that the fertilizer injector must be the LAST item connected to the main dripline :) Discovered that the hard way lol

Hope this helps...

Well I don't like the timer on the 1st. And there is no main line only 1/4... So negative.

2nd kit u only get 50' 1/2 mainline so u will need another 50' probably. Then u can get the 30$ orbit timer @ depot or Amazon.

U really don't need all the random fittings they give u.

Just you timer. Backflow preventer. Pressure reducer. Optional filter. 3/4 to 1/2 fitting. Poly 1/2 mainline. 1/2 endcap. 1/2 elbow (if needed around corner). 1/4 in tubing for each emitter. 1/4 in fitting to punch into mainline Ur choice of emitter.

Hmmmmm maybe that is too complicated.

queequeg152 said:
are you even a little mechanically, or electrically inclined?

if not, atleast get a schedule type faucet controller... the mechanical ones you just turn are awful.

i prefer netafim emitters. i talk about them in a thread of mine
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/34550-diy-fertigation-controller/
Not saying I couldn't but I'm probably trying to go simpler for now and go from there.
juanitos said:
Well I don't like the timer on the 1st. And there is no main line only 1/4... So negative.
2nd kit u only get 50' 1/2 mainline so u will need another 50' probably. Then u can get the 30$ orbit timer @ depot or Amazon.
U really don't need all the random fittings they give u.
Just you timer. Backflow preventer. Pressure reducer. Optional filter. 3/4 to 1/2 fitting. Poly 1/2 mainline. 1/2 endcap. 1/2 elbow (if needed around corner). 1/4 in tubing for each emitter. 1/4 in fitting to punch into mainline Ur choice of emitter.
Hmmmmm maybe that is too complicated.
For what it is worth I gave a garden hose that gets me near the plants.
elcap1999 said:
I've set up a drip irrigation system for my plants and had great success with it. That being said, you'd probably be better off if you go to Home Depot and get the Rain Bird kit (which includes most of the things you'll need except for the garden hose). Alternatively, you can buy the individual pieces for it there too. Here's what to get in your case:

I am going to look into the fertilizer injector in the future. It can work with either of those systems. I will look into the early bird system. Thanks elcapp

- end-line adapter
- in-line filter
- 25 PSI adapter
- Backflow stopper
- 30x 1/4" barbs
- 50' 1/4 dripline
- digital timer

You may wanna look into adding a fertilizer injector as well, which you can find here: http://www.irrigationdirect.com/irrigation-products-and-supplies/ez-flo-fertilizer-injection-systems/ez-flo-fertilizer-injection-hose-end-units/

For you, the 3/4 or the 1 gallon injector would be plenty for you since you'll have only 30 plants. I've used it, and it was an immense time-saver, since I only have to add fertilizer once a month, and let the digital timer do the rest. For my established plants, even with the heat here, I only have the timer go for 3 hours, twice a week, with 1 gallon per hour per plant.. For new plants/cuttings, I'd increase it to 3x a week. Oh, and I discovered that the fertilizer injector must be the LAST item connected to the main dripline :) Discovered that the hard way lol

Hope this helps...

Yeah I guess that'd work as long as u installed the timer at the spigot then the rest after the hose. Ur not supposed to keep constant pressure on the hose.

elcap1999 said:

- end-line adapter
- in-line filter
- 25 PSI adapter
- Backflow stopper
- 30x 1/4" barbs
- 50' 1/4 dripline
- digital timer

Hope this helps...
I am going to get the fertilizer injector in the future and I will look into the rain bird. Thanks elcap
juanitos said:
Yeah I guess that'd work as long as u installed the timer at the spigot then the rest after the hose. Ur not supposed to keep constant pressure on the hose.
Thanks I did plan on doing it that way.

elcap1999 said:
Oh, and I discovered that the fertilizer injector must be the LAST item connected to the main dripline :) Discovered that the hard way lol

Hope this helps...
 So are you saying that that the injector would be after the filter and backflow preventor etc... right before it connected to the main 1/4'' or 1/2' (whichever i get) tubing? If i do use a hose, the order would be timer at the faucet, hose, and then all of the other equipment (filter, backflow etc...) injector, main tubing, and then  the barbs and injectors? Sorry for the all the questions, but as i said i am newbie at this  :P

1/4 in maximum flow rate is around 35GPH. so ~70 1/2 gph drippers and that's pushing it to its max. Much safer running the 1/2in line with max 220GPH and having the 1/4 line+emitters connect to the pots.

juanitos said:
1/4 in maximum flow rate is around 35GPH. so ~70 1/2 gph drippers and that's pushing it to its max. Much safer running the 1/2in line with max 220GPH and having the 1/4 line+emitters connect to the pots.
When did you change your username?

Ok and the second kit accomplishes that if i use my water hose correct? I am able to customize that kit (add or remove items) i believe you said earlier that you thought it provides some things that aren't needed.  Anything in particular you think i could remove?  You also mentioned the orbit timers, just their dial ones or do i need a electronic one? I appreciate the help on this.

don't need the 1/2 to 1/2 coupling unless u cut the 1/2in line
don't need tubing clamps with nail unless you are going to be securing the mainline to something... 
If you run the mainline down the middle of a row then you can just use the tees don't need the barbed couplings.
dont need 1/2 elbows unless you are going around corners
If you are on city water the filter isn't going to do anything so optional.
don't need the adjustable drippers unless you are going to use really big containers
don't need goof plugs since all 1/4 line will be terminated with stakes
scratch that, i customized package(removed most the above) and added to cart.... it cost more than the original package lol wtf drip depot
RqxxzCI.png

here's the timer lots of people use: http://www.amazon.com/Orbit-62061N-91213-Single-Dial-Water-Timer/dp/B004INGS8S

How many rows are you going to have? whats the layout?

i changed name a few days ago lol

juanitos said:
don't need the 1/2 to 1/2 coupling unless u cut the 1/2in line
don't need tubing clamps with nail unless you are going to be securing the mainline to something... 
If you run the mainline down the middle of a row then you can just use the tees don't need the barbed couplings.
dont need 1/2 elbows unless you are going around corners
If you are on city water the filter isn't going to do anything so optional.
don't need the adjustable drippers unless you are going to use really big containers
don't need goof plugs since all 1/4 line will be terminated with stakes
scratch that, i customized package(removed most the above) and added to cart.... it cost more than the original package lol wtf drip depot
RqxxzCI.png

here's the timer lots of people use: http://www.amazon.com/Orbit-62061N-91213-Single-Dial-Water-Timer/dp/B004INGS8S

How many rows are you going to have? whats the layout?

i changed name a few days ago lol
You were trying to confuse me  ;)

Ok well at least i am not crazy, i was playing around with customizing it and had the same problem.  They must charge about $25 just to "customize it" i.e. remove a few things, that's a bunch of BS.

Ok, the layout i will try and describe as best i can. As i said earlier, the outside faucet is 60' or so from the plants. I already have a y at that faucet to run one hose to my back yard and one to my garage/driveway. the hose can go under my deck and i can bring it to where the plants are in the back yard. I have a little temporary fence set up against the corner of my privacy fence to keep the dogs out.  I have three rows of plants of about 5 or 6 in each row (I also have a raised bed in a different part of my yard but i am not putting a irrigation line on that this year) all in a fairly small area. What started this whole thing was i am going on vacation later in the summer and i didn't want my container plants to die, and the more i looked into a irrigation system the more it made sense, so here i am.

Thanks on the timer i will take a look.

parker49 said:
You were trying to confuse me  ;)

Heres how i would do it, note: can be done other ways, i'm not perfect.

this way you can always add more rows/plants and never have problems with flow.  if going to stay at 2 rows can just make that last 1/2 tee an elbow instead
ttxMSk2.png

my setup i did supply lines then 4 separate 1/4 lines and emiters on the 1/4 lines but i don't like it.

juanitos said:

Heres how i would do it, note: can be done other ways, i'm not perfect.

this way you can always add more rows/plants and never have problems with flow.  if going to stay at 2 rows can just make that last 1/2 tee an elbow instead

my setup i did supply lines then 4 separate 1/4 lines and emiters on the 1/4 lines but i don't like it.
If i am understanding you correctly, then i would need to buy 2 of the 1/2" compression tees http://www.dripdepot.com/product/4596fd8075eb5129976c0000/drip_irrigation_parts_fittings_compression_compression_tee since they don't come with the kit. Then i just run the 1/2" line as you show above with the 1/4" line connecting directly to the plants via the smaller tees. Is what you are showing have the hose connect to the back flow and pressure reducer etc... and then to the 1/2" line (and with what Elcap said) if i get a fertilizer injector in the future that would go in right before the 1/2" line?

I think i get what you are saying and i really appreciate you taking the time to draw that out for me.

Oh one more question i do have, if i am using the 1/2" tee, how do i get that to distribute the water at the turn, in other words you have a 1/2" line, but how does the water split off, you somehow connect the line within the tee? Do you cut the line and attach it onto the tee?

parker49 said:
If i am understanding you correctly, then i would need to buy 2 of the 1/2" compression tees http://www.dripdepot.com/product/4596fd8075eb5129976c0000/drip_irrigation_parts_fittings_compression_compression_tee since they don't come with the kit. Then i just run the 1/2" line as you show above with the 1/4" line connecting directly to the plants via the smaller tees. Is what you are showing have the hose connect to the back flow and pressure reducer etc... and then to the 1/2" line (and with what Elcap said) if i get a fertilizer injector in the future that would go in right before the 1/2" line?

I think i get what you are saying and i really appreciate you taking the time to draw that out for me.

Oh one more question i do have, if i am using the 1/2" tee, how do i get that to distribute the water at the turn, in other words you have a 1/2" line, but how does the water split off, you somehow connect the line within the tee? Do you cut the line and attach it onto the tee?
i like these ones with the barb then u screw it on. http://www.dripdepot.com/product/529f78ab75eb5129972c1300/drip_irrigation_parts_fittings_perma_loc_tubing_perma_loc_tubing_tee

the backflow and pressure reducer are 3/4 so put them on first(easy to figure out when u have them in ur hand), then the 3/4 to 1/2 and mainline

if you get a fertilizer injector it goes after all that so i did... hose>timer>pressure reduce>backflow>3/4to1/2>1/2 tube>1/2in to 3/4 coupling> fert injector>3/4 to 1/2 coupling> mainline
(difference is your stuff after timer wouldn't be at faucet and like i said i don't like the 1/4 in lines for each row and am switching to the design above next year)

for the 1/2in tee you cut the tube yes

juanitos said:
i like these ones with the barb then u screw it on. http://www.dripdepot.com/product/529f78ab75eb5129972c1300/drip_irrigation_parts_fittings_perma_loc_tubing_perma_loc_tubing_tee

the backflow and pressure reducer are 3/4 so put them on first(easy to figure out when u have them in ur hand), then the 3/4 to 1/2 and mainline

if you get a fertilizer injector it goes after all that so i did... hose>timer>pressure reduce>backflow>3/4to1/2>1/2 tube>1/2in to 3/4 coupling> fert injector>3/4 to 1/2 coupling> mainline
(difference is your stuff after timer wouldn't be at faucet and like i said i don't like the 1/4 in lines for each row and am switching to the design above next year)

for the 1/2in tee you cut the tube yes
Awesome thanks.  I was just a little confused by one thing, so the timer goes at the faucet or no?  The reason i wanted to double check is the people at dripdepot when i mentioned using the hose had said make sure the timer goes at the faucet. One last thing, and i will leave you alone i swear  :P do you just not like the idea of taking the 1/2" tubing and running it down the rows and then curving it back around to the next row? I guess it might be hard to keep in place, but there may be other reasons for not doing this.

parker49 said:

What you said is exactly correct. The inline adapter for the fert injector goes in after the backflow and pressure reducer but immediately prior to the 1/2" line. Here's a pic of my setup.

In order of water flow, it's the garden hose -> digital timer -> backflow stopper -> 25PSI adapter/reducer -> inline fert adapter -> 1/2" main line at the very bottom...
IMG_8380-vi.jpg

parker49 said:
Awesome thanks.  I was just a little confused by one thing, so the timer goes at the faucet or no?  The reason i wanted to double check is the people at dripdepot when i mentioned using the hose had said make sure the timer goes at the faucet. One last thing, and i will leave you alone i swear  :P do you just not like the idea of taking the 1/2" tubing and running it down the rows and then curving it back around to the next row? I guess it might be hard to keep in place, but there may be other reasons for not doing this.
you put the timer at the faucet so the hose isn't under constant pressure.

there is nothing wrong with doing it that way.

parker49 said:
Thanks elcap. Between you and juanitos it may be finally making sense. Sorry I'm a little slow apparently :)

Totally OK, Parker. I'm not the most mechanically inclined person either, and if I could figure it out, you can definitely do so much easier than I could :)

Back