Droopy lower leaves on my Datil Plant. Help.

Hi all, I have a Datil plant in a 5 gallon bucket that I grew from seed. The top is growing beautifully and producing many young peppers. However the lower leaves are drooping and have been for some time. I am new to growing peppers and want some insight from this fine community.  I first noticed the droopiness a few weeks ago.  I am still unsure if I am over or under watering my plants. They seem to dry out very quickly especially the air pruning buckets. Lately I have been watering the plants almost every day since it has been very hot dry and windy here in Chicago.

Soil: Pro Mix organic potting soil.

Amendments:  Earthworm castings
                       Perlite
                       Azomite

Fertilizers:    Neptune's Fish and seaweed Emulsion but now beginning to switch over to Jack's Bloom Booster. 1 feeding every 10 days.
                    Superthrive... I suspect its a gimmick but I put  a few drops / gal the water every week.
                    Botanicare pure blend Pro, Every other watering.
                    Botanicare Liquid Karma,   Every other watering.

I have big holes in most of my buckets and they are lined with landscaping fabric for 'air pruning' but not for this Datil plant, It's bucket has many 3/8'' holes drilled around the bottom for drainage. When I check the moisture on the bottom of the bucket it is almost always dry even after I water it.

BA60LCR.jpg

Any advice or observations are greatly appreciated.

Normal, all of the energy the plant is producing is going to new growth and fruit production. The lower nonessential growth is slowly getting starved out and will soon turn yellow and drop.

Back