artwork Drop ship artisan sauces?

Have purchased many a hot sauce by many an artisan here.  Have seen how the folk who make sauces interact on THP and it is very friendly.  Lucky Dog and Salsa Lady are often in the same thread complimenting each others comments.  Have bought from both of them, so obviously have visited their web sites.  Their sites are great for me because I was there looking specifically for their products.  Thing is, not so great for a casual hot sauce shopper because being one brand only the sites are limited in what they make available.

So am curious to know if anyone has ever tried to create a single online store which offers artisan sauces from multiple vendors?  Not a standard resale site.  That would involve lots of money to purchase stock, rotate stock, store stock and so on.  A person would need to be registered as a food something or another just for storing the product.  I was thinking more like drop shipping.

Order comes into the central store, then goes out to the various artisans to fill.  No clue how the money would work.  Thinking that part would not be automated because it would be a royal pain in the rear, but what ever system the artisan would get paid before they ship.  So everyone would be happy.

Best example I can think of is how Amazon offers products that are shipped by different people.

Thoughts?  How could this work?

Back