• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

Drum and Bass

going to see IDentity Festival next friday

Noisia will be there

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtppf3xkby4&feature=autoplay&list=PLD9A1B39CBC15763E&playnext=1

Trying to keep it varied on here but somehow the dieselboy name keeps showing up, oh well.

Unmixed version of Tech Itch-Deadline. One of my faves from the System Upgrade release, off of the great and now defunct Moonshine records. Responsible for a lot of the big names in electronic music back in the day.

(2000):

Reactions: nee
OK, this is 10000000000% my era......and you HAVE TO listen to this in its entirety...

It's a set from Roni Size back 2 back with DJ Krust....with MC Navigator (Full Cycle)...and was broadcast on Radio 1, on the One In The Jungle Show 25th April 1997

I grew up in the UK....and this set sent me into a frenzy!!! OK, so there are a few really dodgy mixes, but the tracklist is absolutely SPOT ON...so it doesn't matter..

This is how i roll!!!! Listen....turn the volume right up....and enjoy.....

I lived about 300 miles from the venue, and it's just as well i couldn't be there, as i reckon the first 3 tracks would have sent my body into absolute shutdown......

sicman said:
bwaaahahahahahahahahhahahaha ha hahahahhahahahah ha

when i clicked on this i was really hoping for some real drums and real bass talk. oh well carry on.
I agree Sicman. Wtf are these so called bands they are talking about?

Proud Marine Dad said:
I agree Sicman. Wtf are these so called bands they are talking about?

Uh, the people who create Drum & Bass (as well as other forms of Electronic Dance Music) are called "producers".  It is a genre of music that is created primarily on computers, and is propagated by DJs at nightclubs and electronic music events.  So there is no real need for a band in the traditional sense.

However, there are some artists who do create this type of music with a live band, with Pendulum being one of the more widely known groups to do so.  There is also KJ Sawka, a musician from Seattle, who became known for being able to replicate D&B on his drum set.  He is now the drummer for Pendulum too, I believe.

Here's one of his videos from when he was just an undiscovered local talent:
And if you want to learn more about Drum&Bass, here's a wiki article on the subject:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_and_bass

JuanHubero said:

Uh, the people who create Drum & Bass (as well as other forms of Electronic Dance Music) are called "producers".  It is a genre of music that is created primarily on computers, and is propagated by DJs at nightclubs and electronic music events.  So there is no real need for a band in the traditional sense.

However, there are some artists who do create this type of music with a live band, with Pendulum being one of the more widely known groups to do so.  There is also KJ Sawka, a musician from Seattle, who became known for being able to replicate D&B on his drum set.  He is now the drummer for Pendulum too, I believe.

Here's one of his videos from when he was just an undiscovered local talent:
And if you want to learn more about Drum&Bass, here's a wiki article on the subject:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drum_and_bass

No thanks! If it isn't blues or rock with real musicians it doesn't interest me.

Jeff H said:
Aren't drums and bases just instruments to give a background to the guitar?

Yes, if we were talking about actual bands here.  Drum&Bass is not the same thing though.  

Proud Marine Dad said:
No thanks! If it isn't blues or rock with real musicians it doesn't interest me.
If D&B doesn't interest you at all, then why did you even participate in this thread in the first place?

:confused:

:clap:

---And anyone who can appreciate Jazz drumming will totally get it. Now go back to the guitar thread.

JuanHubero didn't know you still followed the thread. Awesome.

Kraken- Side Effects---(Kemal  and Rob Data Remix)

http://youtu.be/OpPIeUb4SAw

JuanHubero said:

If D&B doesn't interest you at all, then why did you even participate in this thread in the first place?

:confused:
Maybe because we saw the words, "Drum and Bass" which to real musicians means something more than what this thread is discussing.

Adam Dorn's music has always shown pretty diverse musical influence. This is one of his "harder" Drum and Bass-ish tracks.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZDdKU9AYNw

Proud Marine Dad said:
Maybe because we saw the words, "Drum and Bass" which to real musicians means something more than what this thread is discussing.
     Take your condescension out of this thread, please. We're here to share music we all like, not to get a lesson in what music was limited to back in your day.  :lol:

Proud Marine Dad said:

LOL @ "real musicians".  In your narrow view, maybe D&B isn't real music made by real musicians.  But to me and others who are a fan of the music genre, it very much is.

In order for a producer to put together a quality Drum & Bass track, they need to have a solid understanding of music structure, knowledge of break beats, etc.  They also need to be able to create bass lines that compliment the broken beat, which is what makes each track something that you feel and not just listen to with your ears.  The artists who are capable of doing this are modern day composers, only instead of a symphony, they use computers to create their masterpieces.

On top of that, the people who DJ using D&B (or any EDM genre, for that matter) have mastered the art of beat matching and mixing, which is just as difficult as learning how to play other instruments.  To line up two tracks just right, play them simultaneously, and adjust the lows/mids/highs of each to create something new, that takes talent that not everyone out there is capable of doing.

So by definition, these people are musicians, regardless of whether or not their music appeals to you.

Now in other news, I just saw Dieselboy in Rochester, NY on 4/4.  It was the first time hearing him spin D&B since I moved out here from Seattle in 2008, and I loved every minute of it.  It's been a while since I heard it on a loud system, and the system they had in the Roc was heavy on the bass.  Standing up near the front speaker, I could literally feel the bass vibrating my beard.  I could even feel the titanium screws in my hand vibrating too.

Too bad it will probably be a few more years before that happens again though.  D&B is becoming a rare genre to hear out at clubs anymore thanks to Dubstep.

Cool beans! I thought this thread was dead.
JuanHubero said:
The artists who are capable of doing this are modern day composers, only instead of a symphony, they use computers to create their masterpieces.

Well put. Here is a weird, beautiful, weird, weird illustration of your point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1ZGIrNf71Q

Since there's so much love for Damien here, I have to tell you - he's a very cool cat. In '94, when I was at UF, I used to talk to him on IRC all the time from the computer lab. I helped him w/ a little mIRC scripting and tried to talk him into putting out a chip tune for ACiD Productions. Anyways, there was so much swooning here, I thought it would be nice not know he's super nice.

Back