• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Dry Aged Meats

So been curious about doing an at home Dry Age on some steaks for July 4th. So started doing some reasearch and there seem to be many DIY methods out there. The one that really intrigued me was a product called Umai Dry Age Bags. After a few videos I was convinced that this would be the easiest method for me, I wanted to share with you guys and wanted to see if anyone had experiance with these or other dry aging methods. I have already purchased some bags from their website and am looking forward to giving them a test run. Wont be for a bit but I will be sure and capture some pics of the process and the final outcome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGMuWEhAWTc

they are also runing a kickstater campain right now i noticed too
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/679123189/artisan-meat-kit-dry-age-steak-and-charcuterie-at

I have seen people do a really good job w/ those, and I've seen the opposite too.

One mental note I made researching them - because I considered doing it, too - was that you want the meat too still be slimy when you load it into the bag ...

I've seen vids about doing your own dry aging in the back of a shelf in your fridge.  I am too scared to waste a $30 steak to try it.  I buy them already done for a special occasion.  I would love to try it if I had a walk-in with temp and humidity controls.

JayT said:
I've seen vids about doing your own dry aging in the back of a shelf in your fridge.  I am too scared to waste a $30 steak to try it.  I buy them already done for a special occasion.  I would love to try it if I had a walk-in with temp and humidity controls.

RM just found a 14 ft^3 for $40, so I'd imagine you could knock out a chestie and a PID controller for $75 ...

Get some shit going for that BGE =)

1st thing's1st I'm the realist ....

iggy-2.jpg

I tried the alton brown instructions for dry aging meat at home (wrap it in paper towels and put it on a rack in the fridge for 4 days).  Steak tasted kinda like onions, which wasn't bad (I love the humble onion) but it certainly wasn't the depth of flavor I was looking for.  True dry aging is usually done over 4-5 weeks and most importantly it's done with large primals.  Pete Luger isn't dry aging the 1" thick ribeyes we get from Costco, he's dry aging the whole rib primal for a month before trimming off the dried outer areas to get at the stuff that's still good inside.  Dry aging a 1" thick ribeye will yield about an 1/8" steak once the rest is cut away.

The umai dry bags was a nice share BB. I've not heard of them but I'll order some now that I have. :)  

Wet aged is wrapped in plastic, dry aged is open.

Those bags are wet aging not dry aging.

A mini fridge should work well but in your own fridge that meat is going to suck up odors and impurities. 

PS. Didn't watch the whole video but if the bags are not sealed it could be dry aging, as the surface waters would escape. Not sure on the method didn't watch.

The Hot Pepper said:
Wet aged is wrapped in plastic, dry aged is open.

Those bags are wet aging not dry aging.

A mini fridge should work well but in your own fridge that meat is going to suck up odors and impurities. 

PS. Didn't watch the whole video but if the bags are not sealed it could be dry aging, as the surface waters would escape. Not sure on the method didn't watch.
Dont think so boss, take another gander

UMAi Dry® is a unique scientifically-proven, chef-tested technology that allows anyone to create custom dry aged steak and dry cured meats at home. The material forms a bond with the proteins on the surface of the meat allowing moisture release and oxygen exchange while blocking odors and contamination. With UMAi Dry® you can craft dry aged steak, charcuterie or slow-fermented dry sausage in any well-ventilated cooler or refrigerator without risk of spoilage.

The bag's work, but they are finicky ...

It is in fact a one-way membrane, which is pretty cool and does mostly keep the fridge smells out ...

I understand the way fridge's work to include self-defrosting and that isn't favorable for the aging, I think ...

I know I read about them over at one of Kenji's sites (and by that, I mean it's either Serious Eats vs The Food Lab) ...

I mean, I've read about them a lot of places at this point, but there's one place on the web where the info for food tech is really sound-  eGullet ...

It's fun to see how the working pro's cut corners and hack food ...

beerbreath81 said:
Dont think so boss, take another gander

UMAi Dry® is a unique scientifically-proven, chef-tested technology that allows anyone to create custom dry aged steak and dry cured meats at home. The material forms a bond with the proteins on the surface of the meat allowing moisture release and oxygen exchange while blocking odors and contamination. With UMAi Dry® you can craft dry aged steak, charcuterie or slow-fermented dry sausage in any well-ventilated cooler or refrigerator without risk of spoilage.

That's what I get for not watching! ;)

grantmichaels said:
The bag's work, but they are finicky ...

It is in fact a one-way membrane, which is pretty cool and does mostly keep the fridge smells out ...

I understand the way fridge's work to include self-defrosting and that isn't favorable for the aging, I think ...

I know I read about them over at one of Kenji's sites (and by that, I mean it's either Serious Eats vs The Food Lab) ...

I mean, I've read about them a lot of places at this point, but there's one place on the web where the info for food tech is really sound-  eGullet ...

It's fun to see how the working pro's cut corners and hack food ...

Kenji's a cool guy and all but not exactly the most knowledgeable. 

He doesn't cook for a living.

Wait.

He writes about it.

And cooks it too?

Fucker is just like me.

Sorta'.

Just for the sake of clarity, I was referring to the folks at eGullet as the working pro's ...

I'm sure Kenji's been a working pro, and I'm sure he can throw down like a motherfucker, but I'll grant you that cooking for blogging is not the same as running a 'raunt ...

Kenji doesn't get in at 4:30AM to stock the freezer, prep for hours, drive home for a joint and a nap, and then go back to sweat it out for 6 hours, only to have to scrub the griddle and clean the vents in the stinky-steamy kitchen late at night ... washing those brick colored mats in the shower stall in the alley w/ the bums pissing and wacking it ...

So yeah, really being a cook gets extra respect from me ...

grantmichaels said:
Just for the sake of clarity, I was referring to the folks at eGullet as the working pro's ...

I'm sure Kenji's been a working pro, and I'm sure he can throw down like a motherf**ker, but I'll grant you that cooking for blogging is not the same as running a 'raunt ...

Kenji doesn't get in at 4:30AM to stock the freezer, prep for hours, drive home for a joint and a nap, and then go back to sweat it out for 6 hours, only to have to scrub the griddle and clean the vents in the stinky-steamy kitchen late at night ... washing those brick colored mats in the shower stall in the alley w/ the bums pissing and wacking it ...

So yeah, really being a cook gets extra respect from me ...

For not being a cook you sure do have a good grasp on what's required. 

Back