• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

powder-flake Drying out pepper powder ideas?

I dried some peppers for a few days at 105 degrees in my nesco. I grinded them into powder but they still clump (may still have a tiny amount of moisture). 

Does anyone know how to dry out the powder further without macing myself or the house? :)

Thanks!

You face pretty high humidity out there at this time of year, right?  Maybe you're getting them dry enough but then losing ground to the humid air.  Are the jars airtight, are you packing them in dry conditions, and so on?

-NT

Yea its very humid, maybe it did not help after i turned off the dehydrator i left the dried pods for a few days before grinding them.

I would take the powder and put it in a jar with some indicating desicant. It will dry out the powder within a day or so. I use the indicating because you know when it goes bad and you can reuse it over and over again by putting it in the oven and cokking it until it turns blue again.I use it when I store seeds for a longer period of time and when I store pollen for years. I get mine from DRIERITE. Tom

PepperJam said:
wow sounds interesting. Does doing this take away from flavor? cool! thanks,
Not at all,,and it drys into a "cookie" so no worry of dust,,grinds just as easy as before

:cool:
Kevin

SomeLikeItHot said:
Those powder cookies would make a crazy challenge for the site...
Always some bright spark with a crazy idea they KNOW someone will do. Now about those cookies of powder................. :rolleyes:

You know, if the dehydrator is big enough, maybe you can leave the jars open *in* the dehydrator for a little while before putting the lids on.  Seal the dry air right in there with the powder.

I've had pods get less grindable after I left them out of the dehydrator for a few days, and I'm pretty sure my high-humidity days are similar to your low-humidity days!

-NT

Back