• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

preservation drying peppers

My bestest buddy was visited by the Habenero fairy (pics later) and We dealt with them this morning. we decided that since they were shriveling already, the best thing to do was to go ahead and process them for drying. We cut off the tops and scooped out the insides, saving the best looking seeds, and she said that we should keep them in papper bags in a dry place and shake them frequently.

Any other advice on the peppers or the seeds?

Celeste said:
My bestest buddy was visited by the Habenero fairy (pics later) and We dealt with them this morning. we decided that since they were shriveling already, the best thing to do was to go ahead and process them for drying. We cut off the tops and scooped out the insides, saving the best looking seeds, and she said that we should keep them in papper bags in a dry place and shake them frequently.

Any other advice on the peppers or the seeds?

I dunno about the paper bag thing. I've done sundried habs which turned out okay. Super easy is to either use a dehydrator or put them on a sheet pan in the oven at about 200 with the door ajar. I like to take off the stem but leave all the pith and seeds in.

I do the oven thing, like TB says, 180-200 with the oven door slightly ajar. Works great on Jalapenos, Serranos and other thick peppers. I cut them into pieces first, so that they dry faster.

I only have a toaster oven and no exhaust fan-can I still do it that way? for how long? she gave me three fifths of the harvest. there isnt much sun happenin here, either. Dont own a dehydrator.

The weather is very dry. She grew up with stringing plants in a dry place to hang dry- old school. I have ripened fruit in brown paper bags- I'm assuming this is just going to the next step- she says she prefers this to hanging because you dont get dust and spider webs on them. I'm a total newb to such things. I havent really like any of the dehydrators I've owned in the past.

I welcome the advice of those that know more than I.

A thick walled pepper(like a Jalapeno or Serrano) will need heat to help it dry. It will probably rot if left in a paper bag or on a counter top. The other option is to freeze them to be used at a later date.

Celeste do you have a shop light (bulb on a cord) and a cardboard box? If so all you need then is some kind of rack and a knife to make a very primitive but useful dehydrator.

I'd say just go buy a nesco dehydrator, still cheap & they do the job in a timely manner. its not like you'll never use it & better than using the oven or a homemade dehydrator that might take longer.
as for seeds, take them from ripe pods & place on paper towel & leave them sit until they're fully dried.

Origami Rn-I do want to dry them for use later- I'm asking about methods... they are habeneros, little ones.

I took them out of the papper bag this morning and put them on a baking sheet before I went to work and set them where the sunlight would hit them. the edges on quite a few are darkening and I'm thinking thats not a good thing.

Chili hunter, what does cheap mean to you? and where do they sell Nesco?

Novacastrian- I do like DIY. I dont have a shop lamp, I do have a portable light with a clip, and a desk lamp I think. I could buy a real light bulb in the highest wattage the fixture will take and rig a cardboard box thing.

Thanks for all your adivce, guys, and should I be worried about the darkening edges? mold or something?

I don't know what your weather is like there but if it is cool then they are probably rotting. They will need help to dry and I would also suggest going and buying a cheap dehydrator if you cant use your oven. You can also use it for many other things so it wont go to waste.
Otherwise how about freezing them? Probably the best idea. They will be good to use later in cooking or sauce but once they defrost they go mushy so you cant use them as you would with fresh ones. Just pop them in a zip lock bag and place in the freezer..done!

Celeste, not sure how much Nesco is going for in your area but 20-30 dollars is a good plenty to spend on one. Check walmart,etc to see who has it cheapest. It's a good dehydrator to start with, has a fan, just not a lot of bells and whistles. I dream of an Excaliber but that's a LONG way down the road yet.

Celeste said:
I took them out of the papper bag this morning and put them on a baking sheet before I went to work and set them where the sunlight would hit them. the edges on quite a few are darkening and I'm thinking thats not a good thing.

Chili hunter, what does cheap mean to you? and where do they sell Nesco?

for me leaving them sit out & dry by themselves doesnt work for my location, they go bad.

whatever model you decide on (if you buy one ?) get one that has the motor on top so liquid doesnt fall down into the motor or get destroyed from liquid cuz you need to wash it. I dont know how the higher priced dehydrators place the motor - maybe they place them on the back or ?
& one that you can adjust the temp is a plus but if looking for really cheap then one that just has an on/off switch will work to.
its not like you'll never use the dehydrator, dry any food you have or make jerky & dehydrators are more efficent than a oven or DIY.

walmart no longer sells nesco in the stores, but I've had this model for several years.

http://www.walmart.com/Snackmaster-Express-Food-Dehydrator/ip/1120727

I bought this model a couple months ago at pamida for ? $25-$30 ?
though no adjustable temp knob but came with a jerky gun & spices.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=11422782

heres 2 more with different options & prices LOL & a nesco type, just depends on what you want & extra trays are nice to have & consider the price difference if bought the items separate.

http://www.scheelssports.com/webapp...&catalogId=10101&productId=126949&categoryId=

http://www.scheelssports.com/webapp...&catalogId=10101&productId=126952&categoryId=

where to buy a dehydrator ? look at any store (including hunting/sporting stores) thats close to you or buy online.

I bought a nesco dehydrator from Bed, Bath, and Beyond with the temp controller for $70. I love this thing. It is used several times a week between drying fruit for the kids to snack on, beef jerky, and dryng my peppers. It is a good investment.

jacob

okay they are going bad, then. can I do it in the toaster oven? will it cause great distress to my son who's bedroom is next to the kitchen? can I cut off the yucky bits or just toss the ones that are starting to turn?

I'd chuck the ones that have started to turn.....no sense in ruining the entire batch w/ a few bad pods.

Cut the rest in half, throw'em in a loaf pan and put in your toaster oven on it's lowest setting overnight.

I dryed them in the toaster oven-I think they are fine. I found the DYI food dehydrator link on The Test Kitchen- I like that I can put it together easily. I will probably get a food dehydrator AFTER my kitchen rehab (which will also be DIY, so this should be interesting).

Thanks guys for all your help!

Is it necessary to have the "light" from the bulb or are you just going for the heat? I'm asking because I have CHE's (ceramic heat emitters) I use for my snakes. Most are 150 watts. Is there a specific temperature you would dry at? I also have proportional thermostats that can be set to a max of 110 F. These have a probe that can be placed at the point (area) where you want the temp to be stable. They will maintain that temp no matter what the surrounding temps do, by controlling the CHE. They only use enough power to maintain temp and don't run full bore all the time.

Craig

I dry mine at about 125 F. I think 110 F would work as well, but will take a little longer. However, the lower the temp the better color retention.

jacob

Back