• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Drying Peppers

Has anybody used the oven to dry out your peppers? I live in the UK so there isn't much sun and there is no point in me buying a dehydrator for only couple of peppers. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated

you could do that... leave the door cracked open though and put the oven on it's lowest setting... ALSO, if it's a gas oven crack some windows or leave a door open so you don't die or get CO poisioning :) check them frequently. the hottest temps you want to expose peppers to when dehydrating is 125 degrees or it starts breaking down the flavors and good enzymes and vitamins. if you really only have a handful of peppers... put them on top of your water heater. it will take a while(up to a few days) but the lower the temp you use to dehydrate, the better they'll be preserved.
Cheers!

dehydrators can be a lot of fun and the things you can put in them is limited to what can fit... if it's needs drying, a dehydrator is useful. heck you could use it to do clothes instead of a dryer. i got mine for doing fruit to make snacks that will last forever and i can take on the go; lost 20lbs in 3 months and just plain feel better. if you ever have food go bad, you should think about getting a small dehydrator; it'll pay for itself. you can dehydrate leftovers, or fruit/veggies that are about to go bad. also if the grocery store has a big sale on fruits/veggies you like, you can buy a ton and preserve them

my parents saw how awesome it was and how much money we were saving, how much healthier we were eating, and how little was being wasted and they offered to pay for half of it.

well I have an incubator that i use for germinating my seeds and it is set to about 80-85, will this work? its a foam incubator

I don't know if i would use that just because of the risk of mold or fungus, plus that's sort of made to keep the moisture in. the faster you dehydrate it the better so a little warmer of a temp isn't a bad thing.

You want the temp at least 120º F (50º C). Your oven will work well if you can get it set to the lowest temp possible.
250º F (120º C) will work with the door cracked.

And be sure to at least cut the peppers in half!

I recommend using nothing but a dehydrator.
But if you must use an oven make sure you have good air circulation most importantly. Use a fan to blow air in if possible.
Cris-cross racks for smaller peppers. I did this to avoid using aluminum foil for smaller peppers.
I always slice mine so they lay flat.
Dry peppers with same skin thickness together for uniform drying time
I dry mine with the skin face down (personal preference)
Once dried the peppers meet the grinder.
IMG_2922.jpg

Thanks for all the advice. I dried some peppers today and it went pretty good. I turned the oven on to 170(the lowest it will go) and left the door cracked. It took about 4 hours but they are dried out and ready to be put in a grinder.

Back