• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

preservation Drying pods

If I throw the pods in my Nesco dehydrator on the lowest setting (35 or 40C I cant remember) and dry the pods for a couple days, the seeds should be fine right? I'm cutting the pods in half and then putting them in the dehydrator. Also what is the best way to store dehydrated pods. I'd imagine an air tight container would be a bad idea so what do you guys use. Plastic bag ok if I poke a few small holes in them?

I would just remove the seeds and dry them on a paper plate in a cabinet or something... I dunno about storing them though I would thing that an air tight container would be fine.. I normally powder or flake mine and put them in canning jars..

EDIT: Ziplock bags should work pretty well

Thanks guys for the response. I did some poking around and it does seem that dehydrating on a low setting should be fine, but I guess the best guarantee would be to pull seeds from a few pods and set them aside, that way if the ones from the dry pods have any issues, the ones that were not dehydrated will be fine for sure.

giggling here svt...man be a little patient...it will go a long way to help your chile growing..

kinda kidding there but there is a lot of truth in that...I would not even think of planting seeds that had been dried in a dehydrator...40C is 104F...and any extended period of time at temperature will kill the endosperm...or at least that is my experience...I am sure others may differ but good/great germination rates are an absolute must for me considering the number of seeds I start...this is my opinion...

I asked the hippyseed company about this and this what they posted on there facebook page.

all i do is dry them, 1st put a slit in them, then i dry at 40C in a Dehydrator and Put in containers till people need seeds, seeds stay fresh whilst attached to the Placenta as all dont 100% dry out and seeds are Living soo ;-) then when need, just open pod and get out the seeds.. Pods left fairly dry will pick up air Moisture so have to check every now and again or could go mouldy if pick up too much for too long..

August 9 at 11:28am ยท Like

I am by no means an expert but I have to agree with AJ.. Just cut the pod open before you dry it put the seeds on a paper plate stick them in a cabinet and just let them do their thing... this way you dont have worry about cooking the seeds... better safe than sorry if you ask me.. not like your gonna be germinating in the next few week anyway right?

Definitely will be a while (next season). Well I'll try both methods and next season I'll see how things turn out during germination as well as later own :)

I am by no means an expert but I have to agree with AJ.. Just cut the pod open before you dry it put the seeds on a paper plate stick them in a cabinet and just let them do their thing... this way you dont have worry about cooking the seeds... better safe than sorry if you ask me.. not like your gonna be germinating in the next few week anyway right?

Back