• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Duane's Peppers 2009

Ciao all-

It's been a while since I posted anything here. Last year was not the best, due to record rain and cooler than normal temperatures. Duane had many setbacks with his peppers, primarily due to having small transplants from the start. This year, based on some feedback that I shared with him from you all, he started his seeds on 19 January. Almost everything with the exception of Fatalii, White Bullet Hab, and Chocolate Hab look really good. Here's his 2009 list:

Super Sweet

Jimmy Nardello

Sweet

Golden Greek Pepperoncini
King of the North
Uncle Charlie's Big Red
Red Lamuyo
Aconagua
Cubanelle
Giant Szegedi
Albino Bullnose
Chocolate Beauty

Mild

Anaheim
Golden Cayenne
Turkish Cayenne
NuMex Big Jim
NuMex Eclipse
NuMex Sunset
Pasilla Bajio
Sweet Pickle
Pepperoncini
Holy Mole F1

Medium

Red Cayenne
Bulgarian Carrot
Bolivian Rainbow
Jalapeno
Jalapeno Early
Jalapeno M
Jalapeno TAM
Serrano
Naga Jalokia Purple - I'm kind of thinking this one is in the wrong category - maybe Sara can speak to the heat on this one
Fresno

Hot

Brazilian Starfish
Lemon Drop
Explosive Ember
Orange Dulce
Fish
NuMex Twilight

Very Hot

Mustard Habanero
Orange Habanero
White Bullet Habanero - may not make it
Yellow Habanero
Purira
Hot Paper Lantern

Extreme

Chocolate Habanero - may not make it
Golden Lantern Habanero
Fatalii - damped off :o(

Outrageous

Scorpion
7 Pot/Pod
Trinidad Morauga Yellow

Nuclear

Dorset Naga

If any of these should be moved into other categories, don't be shy. Many of these he's never grown before or they haven't done well for him in the past.

It's great to see you back. That list looks impressive and I hope that the weather cooperates this year your you guys.

Y'all must have amazing space to plant all those peppers and tomatoes. Both your lists are impressive.

Ciao Pam-

Actually, Duane grows his peppers in containers like Potawie. We have a couple children's wading pools that we use for large watering saucers on the driveway. He puts between 3 and 4 plants in each container. They seem to like being crowded.

I imagine I'll be asking a lot of questions as the season progresses. Duane would like to make powders and sauces this year. I was reading a little about some of the concentrates AlabamaJack makes, but the recipe looks very simplistic..I'm sure there's more to it. I'll have to do a little research to find out where to get the little bottles in Canada. Do they self-seal for on-shelf storage? All those little details..;)

Sorellina said:
I was reading a little about some of the concentrates AlabamaJack makes, but the recipe looks very simplistic..I'm sure there's more to it.

not really Sorellina...the recipe is very simple...100 grams pepper, 60 ml vinegar, touch of kosher salt, and about 1/3 tsp agave nectar, pressure canned. Thats it. These are really not for eating straight out of the bottle but more for a base for sauces and cooking. I got the recipe from BillyBoy (hope he doesn't mind me sharing it).

Great list of peppers Sorellina, and nice to have you back.
The Naga Jolokia purple is definitely not a super-hottie, but its been around the pepper community longer than the "real" jolokias(C.chinense)

Ciao AJ-

How long do you pressure can it? At which pressure? I have a Presto canner with a weight that rocks at 10 psi. Do you have a rack for those 125ml jars so you can stack them or do you just put 8 or so at a time in yours? Where do you find agave nectar? Must it be ordered online? Potawie, Canadian source?

Thanks for bearing with me here.

I saw agave nectar the other day in the health food section at the Independent grocers. I think they had 2 types

Ciao all-

Oh thanks for the head's up on the agave nectar, Potawie! I'll have to check out IGA.

Pam, you wanted to know how Duane is able to grow so many plants. This is going to be his set-up for this year. I grew several dwarf and determinate tomato plants this way last year, but this year, he gets all the pots except 6 for my early determinate tomatoes. He'll also be growing in 4 hanging baskets. You can see one of his Jalapenos peeking out on the bottom right of the photo.

DeterminateandDwarfTomatoPools07220.jpg

Have you grown the Jimmy Nardello before? I had never heard of it til just now, I looked it up and it sounds absolutely fantastic. Be sure to let me know how that one turns out for you!

Tcg, The Jimmy Nardello has been very prolific for me every year and is a good pepper to eat right off the plant while playing in the garden. I will continue to grow it every year.

DCP_2531.jpg

Dale

Ok, now I must buy seeds for that thing. Sounds like a perfect addition 1 of the 4 slots in my new hydro garden.

Ciao TCG-

This is Duane's first year growing the Jimmy Nardello on lots of encouragement from other growers. I'm looking forward to it, too. :)

Nice to see you back Julianna. Yeah last year was pretty rough for all of us in the Toronto area. Hopefully this year will be better...

Ciao all-

I thought I should post some photos of what Duane's plants have been doing. I only took individual photos of ones I knew you'd all be most interested in.

Pepper Flat #1

DsPepperFlat1031809.jpg

Pepper Flat #2

DsPepperFlat2031809.jpg

Pepper Flat #3

DsPepperFlat3031809.jpg

Pepper Flat #4

DsPepperFlat4031809.jpg

The poor little White and Chocolate Habs are in this last flat and you can see that one of his Lemon Drops didn't make it. The Fatalii also didn't make it.

Ciao Carol-

Yes, that's a bud. That particular flat is heavy with annums like Serrano and Cayenne. He pinched the buds off this morning, so they can put more of their energy into plant growth, not fruit. We still have 2 months before they go outside.

Hi Sorellina,

thanks for the seeds... i am so sorry for the delay, i got distracted with La Familia and havent been able to send them off yet...

but i will, i promise...i just hope ou will still have time for them...

Back