• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Duane's Peppers 2009

Ciao all-

Thanks for the positive feedback! :) I think this year will be Duane's best ever.

Patrick, this is what Duane had to say about the Explosive Embers: "Explosive Embers I believe have the same degree of heat as Serranos, but a fruitier front end. They add a lot of flavour and heat to pickled items if you like that sort of thing. Days to maturity ...I forget ... however I've never not had a bad harvest with that particular plant."

Ciao all-

Finally, I have a few photos to share to show you all what's been happening with Duane's pepper plantation.

Here are the three pools on our driveway. I have 7 determinate/dwarf tomato plants in there, but everything else is peppers.

PepperPool1070909.jpg

PepperPool2070909.jpg

PepperPool3070909.jpg

I think the combination of a super early start with seed-sowing plus the intense crowding of the containers has made for a really outstanding year for him despite the weather we've had.

I don't have many individual plant or fruit photos of his stuff yet, but there are a few I think you'll be interested in..

7-Pot

7-PotGreenFruit072709.jpg

Sara's Trinidad Morouga Yellow (ripening to red)

TrinidadMorougaYellowRipeningtoRed0.jpg

Trinidad Scorpion with scary stinger - I don't go near this plant..I can smell the capsacin from 3 ft away

TrinidadScorpionGreenFruit072709.jpg

Dorset Naga

DorsetNagaGreenFruit072709.jpg

Ciao all-

Sorry I haven't posted any harvest photos, but D's been super busy and sometimes is harvesting at weird times without having time to take photos.

Here's a recent one before he made up some of AJ's concentrates, mostly different Habs, Hot Paper Lanterns, and a few Brazilian Starfish for my pickles.

CrazyChileHarvest092409.jpg

Sorellina said:
We have a couple children's wading pools that we use for large watering saucers on the driveway. He puts between 3 and 4 plants in each container. They seem to like being crowded.

Are you watering from the bottom by pouring water into the pool, or are you using the pool to catch the drainage from the pots?

Your plants look beautiful!

Rick

Ciao Rick-

Duane waters from the bottom. With his hugely busy work schedule, growing the peppers this way is very convenient. Every week or so when he could get to it, he'd take the plants out and inspect, prune, harvest, photograh.

Back