• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Dum rookie question?

Ok this is probably something stupid that I should be able to figure out but here it goes. How do you make an extract? Is it mainly the juice or oil from the peppers? I was told you can add vinegar and sort of let it ferment for a bit? Any information would be helpfull. I dont know if this will change your responses or not, but I am an environmental science and toxicology major so I am fairly famililiar with chemical analyses and what not.Also I am a little familiar with with the gas chromo machine, and might have the abillity providing my instructors will cooperate :)So again any information that can be provided would be awesome.Thanks so much. PEte

There are numerous methods of extraction. The industry standard (at least in my experience) is the use of ketones to separate the capsaicin crystals from the pepper. Capsaicin and sugar have a strong semi-atomic bond to each other, and the ketones put the capsaicin in solution whilst leaving the sugar behind. However, the down side is having to remove the ketones from the solution (unless you enjoy blindness, central nervous system shutdown, renal failure and, oh yeah, death) so they can be consumed by bipeds. This process is also well-known for having a chemical or metallic taste, ick. There are various other forms of extraction methods, including the one you hinted at regarding vinegar and a semi-fermentation. This process is an interesting one, and there is information on how to do it on various websites. There are also distillation methods as well. But, before I put everyone to sleep, I'll stop here. If you are going to enter the world of extracts I caution you to take pre-emptive measures to ensure your own safety. The stuff you will be creating is not for the faint of heart, and can be quite dangerous if not done correctly. I understand you have a pretty good chemistry background, but even so, never underestimate the power of our friend capsaicin, especially when in a concentrated form. Best of luck with your endeavor.

Thank you for your help. I beleive for now I will steer clear of that. I may attempt the alcohol extraction using grain on some lower heat level peppers for personal conusmption that way there are no harmful effects to myself or anyone else. Thank you for your help.

Not a bad idea. Start slow, and work your way up. There is always plenty of time for experimentation. You may want to look into the semi-fermentation method, it's a lot less nasty than doing straight extraction, and you'll learn a lot regarding the makeup of a pepper and how it reacts throughout a fermentation/extraction procedure. To quote the infamous Emil Faber, "Knowledge Is Good".

ya basically if u know how to handle peppers you should be able to pull that off, if it works i haven't tried it yet but i'm gonna

DEFCON Creator said:
(unless you enjoy blindness, central nervous system shutdown, renal failure and, oh yeah, death)
There are fun upsides to blidness, like "Entertain your friends at parties by bumping into things" and don't even get me started on the wounders of renal failure. I must admit tho, death is right out. And there's a fun side effect called "drooling uncrontrolably" that comes with nervous system shutdown(also a fun party trick).

DEFCON Creator said:
Careful, or I shall unleash The Creator's energy surge! :hell:
And I shall counter by rolling a 32 which will damage your shields by 72% thus leaving you open to a casting of the Capsaicin Nullification spell. :mouthonfire:

Oh shoot....I let the geek in me escape again...

:: goes and gets the cattle prod and blow darts ::

3 months? Hell, that was only 1 game for us! :hell:
You may cast your Capsaicin Nullification spell, but I shall retaliate with an "Organ Request" (a lovely little Arduin spell), and no it's not a musical instrument. :mouthonfire:

DEFCON Creator said:
3 months? Hell, that was only 1 game for us! :hell:
You may cast your Capsaicin Nullification spell, but I shall retaliate with an "Organ Request" (a lovely little Arduin spell), and no it's not a musical instrument. :mouthonfire:
Ok, I admit defeat...but I'll beat you in Star Trek or Star Wars, or comics book trivia any day of the week

You mean the ones I took out by displacing behind them (yes, I rolled the right number)? I do thank you for charging my batteries before the assault though.

DEFCON Creator said:
You mean the ones I took out by displacing behind them (yes, I rolled the right number)? I do thank you for charging my batteries before the assault though.
You see, that's the great thing about The Picard Maneuver. My ships are actually right on your tail, you should really upgrade those light-speed sensors.

"All ships...fire." :mouthonfire:

Back