• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Dutch Bucket Pubes

I played around with a small hydroponic system a few years ago ( 6 Dutch buckets in a recirculating system ) and managed to grow more serrano tampiqueno peppers than I knew what to do with. Always wanted to try something bigger so once I had some free space available I built a heated 24' x 32' high tunnel hoop house and started to build this inside.
0926211102a.jpg

0926211101.jpg

2 rows of 16 Dutch buckets that will be fed by a 100 gallon reservoir. I got tired of having rocoto plants loaded with unripened peppers at the end of the season so I'll let them have a nice warm home to finish the job. Figured I'd see if rocotos handle hydroponics as well as the serranos did. Don't have pictures yet, but I've attached runs of 2" pvc on either side as return lines for the nutrient solution and a 1" header for the supply from the pump. I plan on using the typical Masterblend 4-18-38, calcium nitrate, and epsom salt.
Just something to tinker with during the winter months.

That looks so cool! I have tried and only succeeded to fruit rocottos once - I can grow huge plants in hydro but they never set fruit. The only time I had success was when the plant grew through summer, survived the Texas winter and I finally got ripe pods in February.

49598008877_361cdbfb4c_c.jpg

That looks so cool! I have tried and only succeeded to fruit rocottos once - I can grow huge plants in hydro but they never set fruit. The only time I had success was when the plant grew through summer, survived the Texas winter and I finally got ripe pods in February.

49598008877_361cdbfb4c_c.jpg
They do take their time.
I have grown aji largo rocotos for years and they form pods and ripen like any other pepper.

Last edited:
Really awesome greenhouse space.
What else are you going to grow in it?

Really awesome greenhouse space.
What else are you going to grow in it?

I have a few Meyer lemon trees I started from seeds out of my late grandmothers garden in 100 gallon fabric pots. I also have an agave tequilana plant that'll make the greenhouse its home. Going to overwinter a few miscellaneous pepper plants I have growing in the backyard.

It looks great!
I dream of something like that.
Do you still have space in the greenhouse, what do you want to grow?
Meyer lemons, agave tequilana, might build another row of Dutch buckets if the first one works well enough.

Back