• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Dwarf habanero

I planted some white habanero seeds and although some came up only one survived. It then grew into this small stunted, twisted chilli plant, twisted I think because of a problem with aphids. It was about 30 cm tall and I had two small fruit growing on it. This was early spring this year so I took it out from under the grow lights and placed it outside. I think at first I pollinated it with a red paper lantern which was really fast growing, very early flowering but sprawled everywhere and I had to destroy it before it produced any fruit because of a problem with aphids. It is possible that it was cross polinated with a chocolate habanero instead or even self pollinated, but I'm pretty sure it was the red paper lantern. I can't tell just yet.

One morning after some heavy rain, I think a bird must have landed on it and I woke up to find that the white habanero plant had completely snapped at the stem. The biggest fruit was not yet ripe and only about 1 cm - 1.5 cm long but I took it anyway and left it on a table in case I wanted to cook with it one day. After a few weeks it ripened into a sort of creamy white colour and I decided to cut it open and try growing the seeds. After the difficulty with the initial batch of seeds I decided to plant them all just in case. This time all 16 seeds came up so I picked the 4 biggest ones.

One of them has grown much faster than the others, flowered really early and has produced quite a few fruit on such a small plant. So this is two generations within 3/4 of a year. The others aren't quite so bushy and have flowered somewhat later. I am using these ones as a back-up in case anything happens to the really bushy one, although it will also be useful to see how they ripen to help determine what the parent was pollinated with.

I'm now crossing the dwarf habaneros with some of my more productive superhots to see what comes out (Brain Strain, Trinidad Scorpion Butch T, Chocolate Bhut Jolokia and Naga Viper) but I am also pollinating some flowers with the other dwarf plants so I can grow a stable strain. I'm hoping to get some really small dwarf plant for the kitchen windowsill that can produce loads of really hot fruit.

I brought them inside to give you a photo of them all. The one on the far left is the really bushy one that has grown faster than the others and flowered earlier. This is the one that I particularly want to develop. I am self pollinating this as well as cross pollinating occasionally with some superhots.

2jebxoz.jpg

These are the fruit from the plant pictured far left. It's difficult to see most of the fruit because lots of them are buried deep inside the plant.

2zohjqf.jpg

1wvb9.jpg

29vmlip.jpg

208a8ea.jpg

Thanks! I haven't eaten one yet. I'm waiting for them to ripen.It's a little chilly outside now which I think may be delaying them ripening. I will be bringing them in sometime soon. I'm really curious as to how hot they will be.

I bought a thousand little sealable plastic bags from ebay and each time I cut open a chilli I want to save the seed from I put them into one of these bags. This means that if I grow something that I like the look of I will be able to go back and pick all the other seeds from the same seed pod.

Back