Dwarf "ornamentals" with a lot of heat.

For some reason I'm taking a serious interest in these types even though I don't have any seeds for "dwarf" varieties...I might spend a lot of effort next year specializing in them.  The types I'm talking about are similar to Demon red, Apache, etc.  I even came across someone talking about a dwarf white bullet hab somewhere, which is like my white whale right now...if I can find those I'd be fast at it trying to get them going this season.  Anyone have any experience or pictures they could share about dwarf strains?

From a lot of the information I've been browsing through, a lot of dwarf varieties, including the Apache, are hybrids (not stable).  I might specifically get some live plants but I'm kind of doing some research on how to get seeds for some of these for next year.

The chenzo on the vegetalis link caught my eye even though it's a little bigger than what I"m looking for, I love the black pods.

Hot_Pepper_Chenzo_06096435_360_360_cy_c_c_0_0_100.jpg

ikeepfish said:
From a lot of the information I've been browsing through, a lot of dwarf varieties, including the Apache, are hybrids (not stable).  I might specifically get some live plants but I'm kind of doing some research on how to get seeds for some of these for next year.

The chenzo on the vegetalis link caught my eye even though it's a little bigger than what I"m looking for, I love the black pods.

Hot_Pepper_Chenzo_06096435_360_360_cy_c_c_0_0_100.jpg
I love those black pods as well. They're beautiful

I look at a small seed company from Quebec, near my place.
http://solanaseeds.netfirms.com/catalog.html
They have many heirlooms, unusual and rare items available.

Guarda Ciello 
guardaciello11b.jpg

Upward facing peppers growing tightly packed together. 6-7 cm long. Very hot. Turn red in September. Small, 30 cm plants. Can be grown in pots. From Italy. Piccante a guarda ciello.Looks like Mirasol.

Bolivian Rainbow    
bolivianrainbow1.JPG
    (Arc-en-Ciel)   
Highly ornamental peppers that are ripening in that order: purple, yellow, orange and then red. Can be grown in a container. About 1 foot high. Very, very hot. 80 days...
similar variety, see NuMex Twilight as told by Indiana_Jesse

Nosegay 
nosegay33.jpg

One of the smallest strain in the world, with tiny plants barely reaching 12 to 15 cm high. Can be easily grown in flower boxes and small pots. Also nice in borders. Small marble-size fruits grow in tight clusters. Nice laurel-like foliage. Edible fruits with medium heat. 70-80 days.  

Piccante a Cuore   
picanteacuore22.jpg

Short plants, 20 cm high, covered with tight clusters of small marble-size peppers. Like Cherry Bomb, but smaller. Peppers are round to strawberry-shaped, about 2-3 cm wide. Great for growing in pots or limited spaces. Very hot! From Italy.

Indiana_Jesse said:
How about "Prairie Fire", Numex Twighlight, and a few of the Thai varieities?
The Thai varieties are what sparked my interest in them :)
floricole said:
I look at a small seed company from Quebec, near my place.
http://solanaseeds.netfirms.com/catalog.html
They have many heirlooms, unusual and rare items available.

Guarda Ciello 
guardaciello11b.jpg

Upward facing peppers growing tightly packed together. 6-7 cm long. Very hot. Turn red in September. Small, 30 cm plants. Can be grown in pots. From Italy. Piccante a guarda ciello.Looks like Mirasol.

Bolivian Rainbow    
bolivianrainbow1.JPG
    (Arc-en-Ciel)   
Highly ornamental peppers that are ripening in that order: purple, yellow, orange and then red. Can be grown in a container. About 1 foot high. Very, very hot. 80 days...
similar variety, see NuMex Twilight as told by Indiana_Jesse

Nosegay 
nosegay33.jpg

One of the smallest strain in the world, with tiny plants barely reaching 12 to 15 cm high. Can be easily grown in flower boxes and small pots. Also nice in borders. Small marble-size fruits grow in tight clusters. Nice laurel-like foliage. Edible fruits with medium heat. 70-80 days.  

Piccante a Cuore   
picanteacuore22.jpg

Short plants, 20 cm high, covered with tight clusters of small marble-size peppers. Like Cherry Bomb, but smaller. Peppers are round to strawberry-shaped, about 2-3 cm wide. Great for growing in pots or limited spaces. Very hot! From Italy.
That Nosegay caught my attention too :)  ...I'm sure I can get Bolivian Rainbow live plants from the hydro/organic store nearby, I was looking at some last year.
I might have to bookmark that site. 

JoynersHotPeppers said:
The Thai Hot or Thai Sun are my favorites 

I grew a thai hot last year and it was awesome. Very prolific. I may have some seeds that i harvested left if you're interested. No guarantee its pure  :P

They're also pretty hot.

Pepperjack91 said:

I grew a thai hot last year and it was awesome. Very prolific. I may have some seeds that i harvested left if you're interested. No guarantee its pure  :P

They're also pretty hot.
Haha I've got Thais still kicking from last year, you can see one of them in my profile pic.  They were being run in aquaponics :D.  I have two of them, they're in soil right now and I haven't planted more for this season...next year will be different...
I kind of am having crazy ideas of trying to cross a Big Jim with a dwarf with the aim of having a tiny plant with gigantic upright pods lol.  I'm not sure if gravity will let it happen but it's worth dreaming about!

I appreciate the offer :mouthonfire:

Back