• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

cloning DWC Clones, New Growth = Brown & Crispy

The new growth on some of my clones growing in DWC seems to get brown and crispy and then dies before actually grows. Roots look good and new growth seems to keep coming but repeats the same cycle. Any ideas/suggestions on where to start troubleshooting?

IMG_3664.jpg

PH was going crazy for couple days - probably as high as 8 or 8.5. Have it stable now at 5.5 - 6.0. Think that's more than likely the issue? I just have a liquid test kit, an actual meter should be here tomorrow.

What's EC? Temp hovers around 70, RH is 40 - 50%. Setup is in a basement so conditions are pretty stable. Light source is a 4x4 T5. Nutes are Davids Grow (base and grow), a heavily diluted solution of each. Just moved these from my cloning bucket to their own DWC buckets about 7 - 10 days ago, maybe a little less.

EC is a measure of nutrient strength, similar to ppm or CF. The nutrients should be way low, like 1/8 recommended strength or less. Sounds like everything's pretty much as it should be. If the pH got up that high I suspect you are using tap water. You might want to try "filtered" or distilled water to see if things improve. I'd also run that through the top a bit each day just in case your hydroton is still settling in. Are these clones directly in the rocks w/o any other medium?

Odd, they might be in shock, no?

Time will tell :)

EC is a measure of nutrient strength, similar to ppm or CF. The nutrients should be way low, like 1/8 recommended strength or less. Sounds like everything's pretty much as it should be. If the pH got up that high I suspect you are using tap water. You might want to try "filtered" or distilled water to see if things improve. I'd also run that through the top a bit each day just in case your hydroton is still settling in. Are these clones directly in the rocks w/o any other medium?

a little background - i started the clones in another bucket and then gave them their own homes: http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/18428-thepeppergrowingmans-2011-grow-log/

The first two buckets are probably just a little stronger than 1/8, the 3rd is not. It's likely 1/8 or less. Keeping an eye on the 3rd bucket to see if the new growth does the same thing. I am using tap and the ph could have even been higher. I just have the liquid kit and they were blue when i tested them :eek: The clones are directly through the rocks, about 1/4 - 1/2 inch of the stem sticks out the bottom of the basket.

If you are foliar feeding these plants with something while they are under HID lights or in the Hot sun with little air circulation, you could have that burn.

If you are foliar feeding these plants with something while they are under HID lights or in the Hot sun with little air circulation, you could have that burn.

Not doing any foliar feeding and they are under T5's, no exposure to the sun.

Did you use the David's Grow mixing chart for new seeds and cuttings?

Yea, and then diluted a little more.

The one i posted a picture of before is looking pretty sick...whole stem is yellow and there's no new growth roots look though. ph meter showed up tonight and ph is 6.1 but it did spend 3+ days at 8+ ph. I assume that's enough to kill a freshly rooted clone?

IMG_3669.jpg

The other two clones still look ok although not great.

Back