• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

DWC question for a newb

When starting a DWC plant, do you put it straight in a 5 gal bucket or do you start it in a smaller 1 quart-1gallon container? I have been told that you change the nutrient water every week and it seems like a huge waste to toss 4 gallons of neuts for a 3" tall plant.

If you start it in a smaller bucket, how do you get the roots out of the plastic mesh pot that sits down in the water to put it in a bigger plastic mesh pot?

It seems like this should be simple, but I'm sure there is a big learning curve.

Last questions, how do DWC plants do outside in the spring? Just cover the black bucket so it doesn't get to hot or are there other tricks? Can you ever transplant it in the ground once it is grown or will it have to stay in a DWC system until it dies??

I have a 4" tall Butch T and a 4" tall Tobasco that I want to experiment with. More will follow if this works out well.

You could put it in a smaller container, but its a waste of effort in my opinion. You will quickly have to transplant it, as DWC root growth is very explosive.

You could definitely put DWCs outside in the spring, but you may experience heat problems as you said. In order to counter this you can either buy a water cooler (expensive), cover the black bucket (or even bury it in the dirt), or you could add more airstones. When it gets hot, the dissolved oxygen content gets lower, which is why more airstones and pumps are recommended.

You could transplant it to the ground as well, but make sure not to shock it.

here is an example of an indoor grow in dwc

http://alphahydroponics.blogspot.com/2011/12/alpha-hydro-deep-water-culture.html

here is one of the plants outside

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/29196-alpha-hydroponics-glog-2012/page__st__60

If you start a seedling, (ex 4-6 inches) indoors directly in the 5 gallon with a 6 or a 10 inch net pot bucket lid, no need for transplant.
You will only need to adjust the reservoir (if needed), not dump it, during the first stages of growth.

As the plant gets larger, change and/ or flush as needed. Perhaps every 4-6 weeks depending on conditions.
Re use spent nutes on houseplants or landscape.

At full growth, you will rip through a gallon a day easy outdoors, so very little waste.
Modest nutrient levels are needed at this point. Water is what needs replacing at this point due to higher evaporation rates and the size of the plant.

Try not to over think it, your plants will tell you.

Regards, Chris

Do you have an EC or TDS meter? New plants consumer nutes slower and I would just start in the 5gallon bucket. Mix a weaker nute solution for the young plant. Like half strength and keep track of the EC or TDS to see how quickly it is consuming the nutes. When your nute solution loses 20-30% of its strength then you may want to do a change. Also keep water level at the same level. Top up water constantly. Just add water to the existing nute solution. The plant will consume a lot more water than nutes. You need to have a way of measuring these things though.

Back