• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Dying Bhut plant

One of my 2 Bhut plants that I picked up locally was infested with flies in the soil and aphids. I was going to go all chemical as the neem oil hasn't been working killing them off and I don't have time to spray it often as needed, but at $40.00 a bottle for the aztrol I thought why not just buy another plant or better yet try and start a new plant from a cutting. Is it possible to get a good cutting from a plant that's not in good shape? It has a ton of green leaves, but is about half the size of my other one that has grown a lot since I got it. If so do I just cut a piece off and put it in the jiffy seed house in one of those peat pucks and turn on the heat mat or is their something else I have to do to get it to grow roots first? I've never started anything from a cutting before so it's all new to me.

You can make cuttings with Root Powder, Superthrive or nothing but water!

Find a decent looking stem with leaves and one or more shoots or axillary buds (between leaf and stem). Cut the largest leaves off the bottom and any flowers or flower buds, then cut the stem at an angle, dip into water and coat in rooting powder, superthrive or just wet with water.

Using rooting powders or liquids will give you a better chance of a successful cutting taking root and should speed up the process, but they are not required as a plant will root if given the correct environment. If going without hormones you should make several cuttings to increase the chances of success, and it might not be a bad idea even if you are using rooting hormones.

You can place the cutting in a ball of dirt, sterilize it first in the microwave though. I wrap my stems in napkins, real tight with a rubber band around the stem, make sure the cut end is in contact with the napkin or whatever material you are placing it in and spray with distilled water to get it moist but not soaking wet.

Place in a plastic container with a clear plastic lid or plastic wrap.

Make sure it's air tight to keep moisture in and mold out!

Keep under CFL lights, and in about two to three weeks, you should have enough roots to plant into a pot.

Be warned though, the cutting may not be able to retain moisture in the leaves even with a decent root system for a few weeks, so I alwayse cover my transplanted cuttings with plastic wrap or a plastic doam for a while to "Harden" them off to the dry outside air.

Hope that helps, good luck!

^learned quite alot from your post.....i will give it a try sometime...

another thing you can do is get rid of all of the affected leaves and stems even the new ones that appear to be affected......keep only very few leaves that are healthy and allow the plant to re-grow.....worked for me.....(but eventually the new leaves were alot smaller than the originals)......

thanks for the tips. I did quit a bit of reading on this yesterday and found some clone boxes and plans to make one. I think I'm gonna try your method first and then try and make a "clone box" from some older fish tank items I have lying around. I think I should be able to try and do 5 in a small 10 gallon tank. I'll post pics once I get it setup.

The cloners work pretty good but you are left having to keep the water ph'd,you have to build it so it will cost you some money and depening on what type you want to build it can get a little complicated trying to get everything tweaked, and just dealing with the whole thing is kind of a pain. As suggested soil will work good but can I recommend using rockwool. You can buy the cubes that fit into a tray and put a dome on it too keep the hunidity up, also depending on the plant you may get roots faster if you use a heating pad. I have become obssesed with hydoponics and I find that the more I get into it the more time it takes so I am trying to streamline alot of the processes check out this website I found. http://hydroponics101.com/graphics/hydroponics/Leaflets/L2007E_START_trifoldDG.pdf
Good luck in your cloning

Kind of unrelated, I started my seeds in rockwool cubes and I couldn't be happier with the results.

Back