Early budding, remove/top/leave? It's snowing outside!

Hey!

I have a couple of chinense variants that has been growing really nicely. Seeds went into the soil in the middle of januray. Topped them about 3 weeks ago and the new branches are growing really fast. They are now starting to form small buds at the top of each branch. They are going to have to stay inside for atleast 2 more months since its still snow here. My plan is to get them into really compact wide bushes for growing on my balcony. 

So how should I deal with those?

Attachments

• habanero buds.jpg
    habanero buds.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 82
That plant looks pretty established so I would say to probably just leave it. I like removing buds from small plants but once they get larger I just let them go.

I have two overwinters, an Aji Mango and an Aji Amarillo, both of which are both trying to flower right now. The energy being spent doing this is hopefully keeping both plants from going into high-gear grow mode, as I have to keep these guys at a low metabolism for at least another four weeks. None are making fruit yet, which is good.

2 more months inside? sure hope you have the room and light for them. why did you start them so early, planting fever? i learned a lesson years ago not to start too early despite being impatient.. it really can cause more harm than good since the bigger they get, the more light and space they require and if you're not able to provide them those to two important things, plant health will suffer by the time they make it outside.

if they won't be going outside for another two months, you're better off leaving the flowers and letting them fruit as taking them off will just encourage the plant to continue growing vegetatively, which means the plant will get a lot bigger..leaving the flowers will slow the plant down a bit as it focuses on fruit production.

stevie said:
2 more months inside? sure hope you have the room and light for them. why did you start them so early, planting fever? i learned a lesson years ago not to start too early despite being impatient.. it really can cause more harm than good since the bigger they get, the more light and space they require and if you're not able to provide them those to two important things, plant health will suffer by the time they make it outside.

if they won't be going outside for another two months, you're better off leaving the flowers and letting them fruit as taking them off will just encourage the plant to continue growing vegetatively, which means the plant will get a lot bigger..leaving the flowers will slow the plant down a bit as it focuses on fruit production.

Well, this was the first year growing the hot chinenses. I've read everywhere that they are really slow to germinate and that they grow really slow. January seemed to be the most recommended time to start, which I did. But they germinated really fast, the first reaper had its cotyledons within a week from sowing and they really took off. 

I have a few large south-west facing windows which provide huge amounts of sunlight so I think they will be ok. They are not THAT big right now, but yeah, they will probably be huge within 2 months. 

Here's 3 of them posed on a chair (orange habanero, naga, reaper). Pots are a little over 3 litres each:

https://i.imgur.com/PT8hmmn.jpg

Better start early that too late if the growing season is short and you can always cut some branches off if the plants get too big before they go outside.

Back