• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Early Christmas

I received a package today with apprx 20 various pods (ripe) from in and around Moruga Trinidad. My wish list went out and a school bus driver asked his kids to ask their parents to "reap" some ripe pods. Well I have them and they departed Trini on Monday.
Back on topic, it's my understanding that fresh seeds pop faster than dried but is the process the same ? Remove seeds, jiffy pellet, dome with lid and the heat mat then wait? It's a bit late for up here but this is a great effort by all involved and they're actually going to do a School project on this/ me growing. Any tips appreciated seeing I promised a report in exchange for the effort by all down their not to mention the school kids that wonder about snow like we wonder about birds crapping out seeds that really grow. Thanks !

I grow almost all of my plants from seeds harvested from fresh pods.

Just take them out of the pods, try to remove as much seed material from them as possible, and put them in a dish in a warm, dry place to dry for several days to a couple weeks.

Need to make sure they get dried out well and good (think this tricks the seeds into thinking they have gone dormant like they would under natural circumstances), but I get excellent germination rates using this method.

Congrats, btw, on your incredible stroke of good luck!

Well that's an interesting approach as well. I thought you could / should commence ASAP if possible. Considering your success it a dilemma now ? What to do .

I believe you will certainly want to dry them out first. In most circumstances, it seems that trying to mimic natural processes is the most effective.

However, since you got fresh pods, you should have more than plenty amount of seeds.

Why not do an experiment?

That would feed into the scholastic aspects of your project. What's more academic than an experiment? :)

ok so a good friend has / is posting the pics. please help ID these for me......
pep44.jpg

pep33.jpg

pep22.jpg

pep11.jpg

Again, as mentioned these are all from the Moruga region or area of Trinidad .

No need to dry seeds, fresh seeds will germinate even better. As for IDing, I don't think you can get much accuracy, just guesses

Thanks pal, I'm thinking a type of chocolate something for the brown and the 2 reds with the yellow perhaps a devils tongue variation ?
The yellow are the ones that really interest me but not clue. Fatali ?

They are all C. chinenses but thats as far as you'll likely be able to accurately ID them
Fatalii are from Africa, so I really doubt that.

The orangy one 2nd from the left on the 3rd photo looks like the Trinidad bean pods I have seen. Can't be sure but they are some nice looking pods regardless.

Thanks, seeing they come from actual individual home gardeners I think but need input, to ID them. The larger red ones look to me like my own Scorpian / 7pod cross ? I enjoy them alot .

C. chinense
I'd just label them something like "unknown Trinidad 1(fat,red)" unknown Trinidad 2 (long yellow) etc.
If you start guessing at known names and labelling them so, then it will lead to even more taxonomy problems. People like to think that every Trinidad pepper has a known name and are all super-hot but many Trinidad varieties I have do not really have known common names and do not have crazy heat. Look at what I know call "Trinidad lantern-SR", "Sara's nipples-SR", "Trindad cherry-SR" They are not common names but there was a need to ID them and test for stability. The pods you have could very well be crosses and not be stable. Remember that Trinidad is very small and Moruga is a small region within Trinidad so it must be a challenge to keep strains pure.

Can't agree more, decided last night to simply lable as you mention. The people in Trinidad simply call all pods "pepper" with no focus on type as we do here on the THP. Still a nice score in my eyes.

I agree with potawie no reason to label them something that they probably aren't. We don't want seeds floating around from 'maybe' pods! You might do well in checking out Judy's site www.pepperlover.com and trying to compare some to the trinidad peppers she has on her site if you want a rough name for personal use. She has a great variety. Do you know which ones are different varieties from the rest or are you just grouping them based on rough appearance?

There aren't many brown pods that grow in Trinidad so you can probably conclude that they are a Brown Congo of some sort or MAYBE a Douglah if they are super-hot. Of course I can't say for sure they probably have a ton we don't know about.

7 days after planting "fresh" seeds from the pods I received and ate from Trini and I'll guess at 85-90 % germination rate. Very late for this area but point being that ripe / ready seeds from fresh pods have great germ rates. Thanks Potawie as there were other valid opinions but from fresh edible pod to jiffy pucks has produced stunning results. Left house 5 hrs ago after moving the latest that popped under the lights and came home to 3 more jiffy's that now need light. It's almost like you can watch them pop . Very happy and impressed !

Raced home after work and was rushing for no apparent reason other than "Hi kids, I'm home" and wiped out a tray of 8 assorted babies still in jiffy pucks. Personally it was similar to smashing up Ur car or something in fact worse. Gathered up what I could, they were all well most still in the pucks but definite trauma to them and me.
Recovered all the debris including carpet strands and stuffed them back in. No longer know which was which but really don't care so long as they survive.
As a result I'm in the process of consuming beer to try and recover from this traumatic event. I sure hope the remains continue in their life cycle is all I can say !!!!!

Raced home after work and was rushing for no apparent reason other than "Hi kids, I'm home" and wiped out a tray of 8 assorted babies still in jiffy pucks. Personally it was similar to smashing up Ur car or something in fact worse. Gathered up what I could, they were all well most still in the pucks but definite trauma to them and me.
Recovered all the debris including carpet strands and stuffed them back in. No longer know which was which but really don't care so long as they survive.
As a result I'm in the process of consuming beer to try and recover from this traumatic event. I sure hope the remains continue in their life cycle is all I can say !!!!!

Double post, sorry...

Back