• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Early Jalapeno vs common variety

Morning all,

My early jalapenos are shooting up at a rate of knots! V nice to see. Some of the stems are getting firmer as well, so I'm all excited.

The regular version is a bit slower growing. Still good, but not racing ahead like the earlies. Still, I'm hopeful.*

Now, the only jalapenos I've tasted have been pickled in brine by the Old El Paso company**, and yummy though they are, I'm sure the real deal are going to be a lot nicer.

My question for you all is: do the early ones taste different to the normal ones, or are they pretty much the same?

---------------------

* Not like my Jamaican Red Mushrooms which are SOOOOooooo slow... *grumble grumble*

** This may not be the case:I may have had some proper ones in a little restaurant in Santa Cruz about 9 years ago, but I was also on the margeritas that night, so can't recall.

POTAWIE said:
You are going to love fresh jalapenos. I've grown Early Jalapenos before and find them pretty 'normal' for growth and taste. I'm looking for a good strain to grow next year. Can anyone suggest a good variety, preferrably larger pods and hot.
Here's the chileman's description of early jalapeno
http://www.thechileman.org/results.php?chile=1&find=jalapeno+early&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Any

Shoot me a pm with your address and I will send some your way.
I've been growing this strain for about 5 years now. Good sized pods with decent heat for a jalapeno. Their pretty good corkers too. I planted this year's crop in may and they are just starting to turn red now so their not the early type.

Back