• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Earwigs!

Well, this is a first! After harvesting some peppers this morning, I noticed the tip of one was missing. I just figured it was the grasshoppers. We have tons of them here, and they are always hanging around on my pepper plants, though I've never actually noticed them eating the plant, or the pods. When I cut the pepper open, an earwig came slithering out. NASTY!!! They did a good bit of damage to my zucchini plants this year, which are down at the community garden, but I have never seen any around the peppers, or noticed any insect damage.

It's the end of the season here, so I'm not going to break out any chemicals at this point, but just so I'll be ready next year, I'm wondering how other people deal with them.

interesting because i would have not thought they would go into a pepper until yesterday. at the post office i was talking to the lady working there. i told her i'll be getting a package with hot peppers soon and asked if she liked them i'll give her a couple. yes she said, but earwigs got into hers and she stopped growing them.

Ugh! Today I found one in a tomato for the first time ever. What a disgusting bug, and a waste of a perfectly good tomato!

I can't be the only one dealing with this pest. Does anyone have a home remedy for me?

I saw some in peppers today. They are evil little horned bastages and must all die now. I am watching this to see if anyone has a solution too!
:confused:

I Have them too but i don't think they are doing anything to my plants. I typically just see them sitting on the leaves and i flick them off.

Just don't let them crawl into your ear or they will tunnel into your brain and lay eggs. Once the eggs hatch you will turn into a zombie! :eek:

We have them here too, but I've never noticed them doing any damage in the garden.

iirc earwigs are beneficial insects they eat pests and tiny things in the soil and also detritus in the soil so like an earthworm they enrich the soil.

Ugh! Today I found one in a tomato for the first time ever. What a disgusting bug, and a waste of a perfectly good tomato!

I can't be the only one dealing with this pest. Does anyone have a home remedy for me?

We have a lot of them in the area, the cheapest and safest way to get rid of them is to spray a mix of lemon dish soap and water.

Works great!

Never saw before eating my pods till this year they drill the small hole on the top of the pod & pepper rotten after while with seeds,bunch my hybrids the destroy luckly fond at least 2-3 good not damaged seeds so I can plant those next year. :(

Never found earwigs in my peppers but I did find a dead one in a can of Chef Boyardee when I was in college. :sick:

Never ate that stuff ever again.

Back