smokers Easiest DIY smoker ever

1. Get yourself an old electric stove/oven.

2. Move one of the coils from the stove top to the bottom of the oven while keeping it wired to the control knob.

3. Place an old cast iron pan on the coil for wood chips.

And...done! You already have the grates. You can add a pipe to the vent which usually comes right through the stove top.

You can add an old SS mixing bowl for water on the bottom rack.

And now you have a very functional smoker with adjustable heat!

I have one of these at the lake that I use exclusively for fish, and it works GREAT!

I usually turn the heat on high to get the chips roll'n and then turn it to low when I add the fish.

I have an expensive propane smoker too and I actually prefer the ghetto one.

I even put casters on the bottom so I can wheel it into the tool shed to conceal it's ugliness when it's not in use.

Try it out! It's basically FREE and it works!

I hope that all made sense. It's 3:30 am here and I'm a little drunk right now, but it's supposed to snow tomorrow and I don't have to work. :beer: :woohoo:

The basic idea sounds good, but how do you gauge the actual grate heat? And how often do you have to load more chips? Save the planet... it's the only one with peppers.

hey mojo,

What's your power supply for the stove/oven? Why didn't you just use the oven element that was in there? Any Pics?

And lastly....how's the hangover? :beer:
:cool:

it's all good~~~

The basic idea sounds good, but how do you gauge the actual grate heat? And how often do you have to load more chips? Save the planet... it's the only one with peppers.

I added a vent pipe to mine, so I judge the heat by feeling the pipe. If it's warm, it's good. If it's hot, it's not. I suppose one could use a thermometer, but this works fine for me.

For a batch of fish I usually don't have to add more wood. If I do, it's only once. I don't really use chips either. I cut my own apple or wild plum wood. I like chunks about the size of hockey pucks, but chips work too.

hey mojo,

What's your power supply for the stove/oven? Why didn't you just use the oven element that was in there? Any Pics?

And lastly....how's the hangover? :beer:

it's all good~~~

Power supply is just 220 wire rigged into an extension cord.

I think the oven element would get too hot (just like an oven), and the coil is made for a pan. It's just like an electric smoker you can buy with a hot plate in the bottom for chips.

No pics on hand. The cabin is 400 miles away, but the fishing opener is only a month away. I will have plenty o pics of this and some killer shore lunches soon enough. ;)

Surprisingly, I feel pretty good today. I don't think it's going to snow either! :woohoo:

muskymojo, just be safe with that "220 rigged into an extension cord".

Can't wait to see pics of the shore-grub!
SL

...for that matter, you could just set a pan in the bottom and light a fire, then put in the wood chips.......put a tray of water on the bottom rack...and rock-n-roll.

Back