food Easy Habanero & Paprika Pork Stew

This is a dish I started cooking a while back, which turned my girlfriend into a chilli head!
it’s super easy to make and tastes brilliant.

Byk6w.jpg

Serves 2-3 people
1 large onion
1 tin of chopped tomatoes
1 ½ tablespoons of olive oil
4 small potatoes
1 red paprika, one yellow paprika (sliced).
Enough pork for 2 hungry people (I use roasting pork)
3 large habanero pods
2 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons of white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons of fish sauce (I use ‘honstuyu’ which is like a soy sauce flavoured with smoked tuna)
4 tablespoons of natural yoghurt
Fresh basil
Black pepper to season

First start of by slicing the onions lengthways into strips, brown them off in a pan with olive oil. Once brown (I like to burn them ever so slightly) add the tomatoes and allow to simmer for 20 minutes or so.

Peel the potatoes and cut into quarters (smaller depending on the size of the potato). Boil them in salted water until slightly aldente.

cut the pork into strips and add to the tomato and onions, let it cook alone for 5 minutes before adding you paprika peppers.

Dice the habanero and garlic (I don’t de-seed). Mix in with the fish sauce and vinegar and add to the stew ten minutes before serving.

NK77z.jpg

Roughly chop the basil and stir into the stew along with the yoghurt and the potatoes once you have turned the heat off from the stove. Add black pepper to taste

I'd love to add some fresh Corriander leaves to this, but i can't find any in Japan!

like I say, it’s extremely simple, but it works! (and luckily I usually have a little left over for the next day)

VtBBA.jpg

Gorgeous looking stew Georj. The yogurt should give it a nice tang as well as thickening the stew. No flour, cornstarch or kuzu eh? Honstuyu is a little hard to find locally... I may give it a try with soy, Nuac Mam and a few drops of liquid smoke. Cheers!

Cheers fella! :)

yeah the yoghurt was initially for the girlfriend's benefit, Japanese people are particularly weak with spice and so the yoghurt was there for her (first generation also had honey to cool it down!).
it totally adds to the texture and like you said, that tang really offsets that tropical habanero flavour! as well as thickening it a little.

yeah i figured hontsuyu may be hard to find for others, i basically used it as a salt alternative. thai fish sauce may work well, soy sauce with liquid smoke sounds amazing! :)
really wish i could find liquid smoke here...

no problem :)

this dish is pretty much responsible for my missus supporting my growing habit. 'you can grow as much as you like next year, as long as there is lots of Habanero' seeing as she's a nutritionist/chef it's a pretty good thumbs up for the dish, she's got Habanero fever!

Back