• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

eating your first superhot

Hi all,
Im new to the hot pepper and my first post was showing off all my hydro bucket grows.. there all doing fine and producing pods..

So heres were im at.. i have never tried a superhot pepper and would love to build a heat tolerance, what peppers do you think would be a good starting point ?
I would like to try harbanero first and go from there.
What are all your tips and tricks to building a heat tolerance ?

Just eat hot foods as often as possible.  Add increasingly larger amounts of super powders into your meals.  Really most will never get to the point that supers are comfortable whole.  You have to just take a deep breath and pop one in.  Don't try a hab first.  Just do a super.  Its not like you will die from it.

cruzzfish said:
You can't build up to supers. It will always hurt, and having a tolerance just makes it a bit less.

So true!! I started with tabasco sauce as a kid and moved up to jalapeno's then growing habanero's in college around 1993. I moved up from there to naga morich's about 10 years ago. Those rocked my world and I told myself I'd never grow anything that hot again. Well.......I was wrong. Anyway, I eat fresh pods in the summer and try to have enough super hot homemade powder to last the winter until I have fresh peppers again. My goal is to never run out of heat. That is how you build a tolerance. I eat peppers and/or powder with almost every meal to build and/or maintain my tolerance, but also for the health benefits. Good luck in your journey bro!!

Subjecting yourself to face-melting pain is not mandatory! :)

I must admit that I've never chomped an entire pod of anything hotter than a Chocolate Haba.

Fatalii and beyond get nibbled over the course of an hour, added to whatever is cooking, or dried and powdered.

I lost all my tollerance over the last few months of winter.. I was steadily hitting the superhot sauces, and I was getting a nice glow when I added them to meals.. The other day I got out a localy supplied fermented pepper sauce, had some on some chicken schnizel and WOW... Eyes were watering, nose was running and even got the hiccups..

A week on and 10 or so meals latter I have added the sauce too and the tollerance is returning.. Now its just that nice glow again, still a littler hoter than I used to feel but its coming back...

I classify tollerance as the ability for your body to not overreact to the heat.. Wattery eyes and nose etc... more so hen a real drop in felt heat..  Still hot, just doesnt make my body want to pack up as much lol..

What about things to take before trying a superhot ? Whats good to line your stomach with ? Hints and tips ?

Levelz said:
What about things to take before trying a superhot ? Whats good to line your stomach with ? Hints and tips ?

In my opinion, no amount of hot pepper eating to build tolerance will prevent stomach cramps. 
If I'm going to eat a whole pepper, I will usually either eat a heaping spoonful of peanut butter or olive oil around 5-10 minutes before I eat a superhot whether I'm eating the pepper along with a meal or not.

I've eaten a reaper, moruga scorpion, butch t, bhut whole. No longer will I eat any pepper whole that is hotter than a hab. I just cut a small piece of the pepper off to get a taste of the flavor and heat. No more macho man stuff for me anymore lol. 

Now sauces are a different story I still mess around with the super hot sauces but mostly with food. Some sauces can be just as painful as the peppers.

This year I built my tolerance up by eating datil peppers & occasionally hot sauces.
I was able to eat the Peach SS with no problem other then a few stomach cramps

Levelz said:
You probably should eat a good meal beforehand. Go hit a Chinese buffet or something, just fill up first. That'll help down the road with cap cramps too. In the event that you get those, have some baking soda handy, and dissolve a spoon or two in a glass of water and drink it.

I say just start eating peppers.No set rules grab a few habs and eat them a bhut or two a scorpion or 7pot dont think it matters that much you will always FEEL THE PAIN!!!the cramps are the worst for me...

I tried my first super hot back in 07- 08 thanks to my friend Chris, That was a real shock to my system as I just went for it, since then I've tried several others, but now I go real easy with them when I eat them fresh.
I just eat a small piece at a time, I also will drink some milk and will eat some peanut butter and or some cheese if I know just how hot the pepper might be. I really suffer when I get stomach cramps due to all the medication and chemo that I had, which almost made me quit hot peppers, powders and sauces, but I'm getting to where I can use them again, all in moderation.

Practice makes perfect and some people just have more natural tolerance.

After many years, I still have no desire to eat whole superhots. I grow and consume lots of superhot sauce, powders, and cook with, or eat raw, small amounts. I enjoy intense mouth heat but not stomach discomfort.

I built up my tolerance using powders in my food. I still don't eat raw pods though. No point, I know i'm a man without subjecting myself to that. Hottest I take chomps out of are baccatums. Raw peppers even bell doesn't go over very well. Gotta be roasted, chopped n cooked , smoked n dried ect. About the only exception would be in salsas.

Just eat small pieces of the super hot.  I dont see any reason to "prove" anything by eating a whole pod and probably never will.

Get a group of friends together, cut up the pepper, everybody gets milk, and then everybody eats a piece.  You will do what you can to not look like a wuss in front of your buddies.

But what everybody else said about working up your tolerance.  I can eat hab based whatever now pretty easily.  Jalapeno's are more like bell peppers to me.  Anything hotter than a hab still lights me up pretty well no matter what.

Yeah, sooner or later habs become snack food but the supers never get mild.
It kind of amuses me how local asian markets think I'm weird for buying 1 hab or scotch bonnet at a time but, if they knew I ate it on the way home, I'm sure they'd be shocked in a different way.

Back