• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

EC Confusion Hydro?

Got myself an EC meter and have been doing some reading up.

My tap water has an EC of 0.78 and when I do a test on my solution its comes up as 1.4.

Does that mean my solution is only 0.6EC?

Should I be reading more like an ec of 1.8 - 2 so my nutrient mix is closer to 1.0 - 1.2?

Thanks Chris

Not sure how your calculating? If your tap is .78 and your solution is 1.4 how do you get .6? You may want to ensure your meter is calibrated correctly before doing any test and you also have to allow your tap to settle as it will fluctuate a lot if just poured.

well 0.62. I meant start is 0.78 and if I only go upto (on my meter) 1.4 - is this only giving me a true nutrient strength of 0.62?

im just wondering weather I go up .78 higher on my ec readings due to that being my starting point?

I may have to give rain water a go as its less than 0.1 start - not checked the ph yet though!

Chris

Have you had the water tested? If you don't know the minerals of the water supply, it's conservative, especially with chiles, to stick with the meter readings for the mixture.

Not sure why your checking TDS / EC if you haven't even looked at pH yet. What are you trying to do? I would be a LOT more concerned with pH instead of TDS. Are you growing in soil, hydro? I think a lot more info is needed to even understand what your trying to do and more importantly why your trying to do it before any good help can be provided.

LGHT said:
Not sure why your checking TDS / EC if you haven't even looked at pH yet. What are you trying to do? I would be a LOT more concerned with pH instead of TDS. Are you growing in soil, hydro? I think a lot more info is needed to even understand what your trying to do and more importantly why your trying to do it before any good help can be provided.

LOL hydro was right in the title. And it's simple he's asking if the tap water's ec should count toward total ec or if you subtract starting ec from total to get nutrient ec. I wondered the same thing myself but my ec meter so t even read my tap water(damn truncheon) so I just use the total as my reading.

Ohh ok that makes since. I wouldn't know about tap water as I never use it. Tap water in California is horrible.

Back