• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Edema?

I noticed many tiny bumps on the undersides of the Cumari leaves tonight. I'm going to hazard a guess and say it's edema. At least, I hope so, as it sounds relatively benign...

IMGP2855.jpg

I understand this is an excess moisture issue, but are we talking about soil moisture or humidity? I usually keep a fan on the plants to strengthen the stems, so there's plenty of circulation...

Fair enough. Probably a combination of occasional overwatering and completely drenching the plants after finding ants in the trays...

yes, try not to water when the humidity is high, also make sure your are watering in the morning so the soil has time to dry a bit when the temp is higher and the lights are on, make sure your plants arent to close together, and that there is air ventilation and circulation via fan/s

I'm learning something new every day here! I never heard of plant edema before. Maybe some epsom salts and putting their legs up will help. (Kidding...I figure since I'm relatively new, I should label my jokes since you don't know my sense of humor yet.) I hope you're right and it's just a moisture issue and not a disease.

yeah, it's definitely edema, my plants had it pretty bad, but I have fix it for the most part, although the Congo Trinidads seem to get it still, I guess i really have to let them dry out a lot and only give them 1/2 the amount of water that I give everything else.. kind of strange but interesting..

just don't water as much and all the stuff everyone else said, also if the humidity is high and if it's in a grow tent or something, like mine, I had to turn on the exhaust fan every couple hours just to get all the humidity out, and also don't try to not water them until it goes away, because the leaves that have it, will not really show it "going away" the new growth just won't have it, and it will dry up a little but mainly just look at the new leaves for signs that you have fixed the problem, because I figured the old leaves would show the little bumps going away and I didn't water the plant, and found it one day super wilted lol.. but a little water fix that issue

It's definitely a moisture issue; the plants are kind of clumped together currently, but I don't have much space to work with. I mist the citrus twice a day, so I'm not surprised the humidity can exceed 50% at times especially after watering the plants. I need to start opening the window when it's warm out...

I do keep a fan circulating on the peppers, at least.

yeah, I wouldn't worry about the plants being close as much, mine are packed together, although most of them are still small for now, so it doesn't really matter, and the fan I have is big enough so that when they do get bigger I can just increase the fan speed and get a nice breeze going through as well as create trees out of their stems lol

for me I just judge it if there is condensation on the grow tent walls, and I just vent it enough so that it doesn't really stay on there long.. but I wouldn't think 50% would be too bad, it has to do more with the amount of water in the soil and either it is too humid and the soil is too warm for the water to transpire through the leaves fast enough, or it is cool and humid still and the soil is still warm ( or something like that, I can't remember, I was reading a bunch of stuff about it online, I suggest just googling it for a little while and reading some more on it, can help you pinpoint what it is that you are doing that is helping cause the problem...)

Kind of looks like aphids to me. Can you knock them off of the leaf? Kind of strange its only on one leaf. Maybe a little of both?

It's isolated to a couple plants in spite of the leaves all being in contact, and it appears on multiple leaves. I haven't seen any evidence of aphids in months. Believe me, I though it was aphids at first, but it all appears to be part of the leaf itself...

yeah it's definitly edema, at first I didn't know what it was and I was just kind of scraping them off with my fingers, but it just made it worse in the end, damaged the cells more than they already were.. it will take a while to fix it, so be patient (or take a while for you to notice the results of fixing it I should say)

I'm familiar with edema believe me. Just looking the picture over good a few seemed to be shaped just like aphids. Glad to hear is isn't them. I still think it's rather odd that that one leaf is totall covered like that and only a few signs of it on the other ones. Something new every day I guess.

I'm familiar with edema believe me. Just looking the picture over good a few seemed to be shaped just like aphids. Glad to hear is isn't them. I still think it's rather odd that that one leaf is totall covered like that and only a few signs of it on the other ones. Something new every day I guess.

hmm yeah that is strange, just noticed that, but I have noticed that the more "open" the leaf is to the light the more edema it will get, so like on my plants the top leaves and the larger leaves that are out in the open more got the edema first or most.. and the other leaves didn't actually get much at all

I overwintered a Thai Dragon plant and it's just showing edema one a very few of the leaves. There is not a system, some old leaves has it and some new. There are a lot of perfectly healthy leaves too. The room where it's at is really dry, not humid at all. I've also been watering it extremely little, kept it pretty much dry but not too dry. When/if leaves starts to look droopy I water it of course. There is also good drainage so water building up in the bottom is not the problem .

I have had my fan on a lot lately, and if I can get this other smaller fan I have apart and cleaned out, I am going to stick the smaller 10 or 12" fan in the top corner of the grow room and keep it on while the lights are on all the time.. and then just leave the larger 18" oscillating fan on it's set time schedule which is every 30min or something like that.. seems to be helping out a lot.. I over watered some again today lol, because they were drooping so I thought that they needed water, but I was checking in the morning (at the end of the "on" light schedule, so they were a little droopy anyways, but I gave them a little water, they looked ok in the afternoon, then checked them the next morning again and they looked droopy again, so I gave them just a little more water lol.. then this afternoon when I was going to water all of them, because a bunch were a little droopy this morning. they all looked nice and perky in the afternoon.. so I went around feeling the pots and realized that most of them were still a little moist based on the weight.. and the ones I had water were starting to curl a tiny bit lol and were pretty heavy.. so now I just need to wait until they are droopy in the morning and afternoon when the light goes back on.. and then feel the weight..

these peppers are turning out the be a little tricky.. but once I figure out my watering schedule with the new potting mix I have.. it should be good.. on the bright side, they are growing great, and putting out tons of buds, and the roots are already showing nicely in the bottom after 2 weeks after transplant

sorry to bring this thread back from the dead, but @synclinorium

can you please update us on how this turned out, did it stop occurring on new growth, did it end up spreading ( assuming it wasn’t edema)

im now having the same trouble,
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/37878-looks-like-salt-or-sugar-on-bottom-of-leaves/

Back