• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Educate A Newb: Genetic Trait or Conditional Reaction?

Eephus Man said:
What causes 'corking'?

The pepper growing faster than the skin, the skin cracks then heals leaving the corking/scar.

Those have to be the most extreme example of corking I've ever seen.

Silver_Surfer said:
The pepper growing faster than the skin, the skin cracks then heals leaving the corking/scar.

Those have to be the most extreme example of corking I've ever seen.

Does it generally have any ill effects on flavor or edibility?

Can it be easily induced.

It's very visually appealing.

Eephus Man said:
Does it generally have any ill effects on flavor or edibility?

Can it be easily induced.

It's very visually appealing.

Yes, definitely appealing to many that prize corked pods and no bad side effects other than a tough hide. I don't know how easily the corking can be induced, but would suggest supplying ample water during pod formation.

It's the same effect that can cause undesired cracking and splitting in tomatoes (uneven and over abundant water supply).

Silver_Surfer said:
Yes, definitely appealing to many that prize corked pods and no bad side effects other than a tough hide. I don't know how easily the corking can be induced, but would suggest supplying ample water during pod formation.

It's the same effect that can cause undesired cracking and splitting in tomatoes (uneven and over abundant water supply).

Huh. Interesting. Thanks, SS

Nice pic from our friend John F.
Personally I always prefer a corked jalapeno. In mexico corked pepper are more valued, in America they are usually not sold since they are seen as blemishes. Certain varieties are more prone to corking than others, some are bred for resistance to corking:(

Those Jalapenos are very corked if that's what that look is called. Kind of a cracked skin .. we get those but not near that extreme. I never worried/carried about the look. When I use 'Penos most the time I blister them and scrap the skin off. So most the time my concern is if they're curved a lot. Really curved pods are harder to blister the skin on.

Peace,
P. Dreadie

Back