• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Egg shells?

Take a container filled with vinegar and keep adding egg shells. When the egg shells stop disolving the solution is at a perfect ph. This is a water soluble calcium suppliment. I forgot the water dillution rate that was used to feed plants but a few table spoons a gal I would think? Never tried but a friend of mine does. I am not an organic gardener so....

Take a container filled with vinegar and keep adding egg shells. When the egg shells stop disolving the solution is at a perfect ph. This is a water soluble calcium suppliment. I forgot the water dillution rate that was used to feed plants but a few table spoons a gal I would think? Never tried but a friend of mine does. I am not an organic gardener so....

Whoaa wait a calcium supplement? Would you know if it ends up having the same results as calmag?

Yea I was suprised too when heard of it. I think it would only be calcium. You need to make sure your plant get the right Ca to Mg ratio. I think gypsum is a good choice too for Ca. You could try it out with one plant to see if it works first. I use in-organics in containers, it takes the guess work out.

if you ever find out more about it let me know.

Likely the vin sucks the cal out of the shells faster? How much faster ?
I have my local beer dispensery / Carib food joint save the shells and just "plan" to mix them in the garden soil in the event it ever goes above 6c degrees at night this year.

Yea I was suprised too when heard of it. I think it would only be calcium. You need to make sure your plant get the right Ca to Mg ratio. I think gypsum is a good choice too for Ca. You could try it out with one plant to see if it works first. I use in-organics in containers, it takes the guess work out.

What about spraying with epsom salts for Mg ?

Lol yea it is interesting what you can do. I am not sure if you could burn plants with it? Anyway, I will try to find a dilution rate.

Please do, severly interested in this topic. Anything that saves me money I'm in for.

I rinse the shells out really well and then allow the shell and the inner membrain to dry for 3 or 4 days. Then I store them in a gallon size Ziplock bag. Once I have a bag close to full of crushed shells I put them into my Magic Bullet blender and turm them into powder. I add 1/2 cup of powder to a 5 gallon bucket of soil mix.

I use 5 gallons bucket of Miracle Grow Organic
10% used coffee grounds
1/2 cup powdered egg shell

great stuff.

Can you find gypsum? I get it for 5 dollars for a 50 pound bag. It is one of the best sources of Ca and can be simpley sprinkled on the surface of the soil in each pot to give all needed Ca.

Yes epsom salts are a Mg source.

"Anything that saves me money I'm in for. "

I should of asked, do you grow in containers? If so what are you using for nutrients? Homemade compost would be the cheapest way. I do not have the time. I too am into growing at the cheapest price a reason I use in-organic fertilizer. It is cheaper, stable, easy to use, the list goes on.....

Can you find gypsum? I get it for 5 dollars for a 50 pound bag. It is one of the best sources of Ca and can be simpley sprinkled on the surface of the soil in each pot to give all needed Ca.

Yes epsom salts are a Mg source.

"Anything that saves me money I'm in for. "

I should of asked, do you grow in containers? If so what are you using for nutrients? Homemade compost would be the cheapest way if you have the time, I do not have the time. I too am into growing at the cheapest price a reason I use in-organic fertilizer. It is cheaper, stable, easy to use, the list goes on.....

Were did you get yours? Hydro store or something? Im using fox farms soil for 18 dollars for 2cubicfeet, and growing in free buckets my father gave me from his work! Im using some type of nutrient that was 10 dollars for a quart.

Homedepot is where I get the gypsum edit: oops thats the lime I get :P . The gypsum is like 6 bucks for I forget how many pounds.Then you would need epsom salts for Mg. In the nutirent you use is there calcium? I seen some cheap suppliments in the hydroshop for caMg. I use maxibloom, a base bloom fertilizer that has a lot of Ca in it so no need for anthing else. I think I got a 2.2 pound bag for 14 dollars and that should last a long time. I no longer use liquid fertilizer. Dry fertilizer like maxibloom is cheaper and easy to use.

Homedepot is where I get the gypsum. Then you would need epsom salts for Mg. In the nutirent you use is there calcium? I seen some cheap suppliments in the hydroshop for caMg. I use maxibloom, a base bloom fertilizer that has a lot of Ca in it so no need for anthing else. I think I got a 2.2 pound bag for 14 dollars and that should last a long time. I no longer use liquid fertilizer. Dry fertilizer like maxibloom is cheaper and easy to use.
It doesnt have any. I was planning on if it needed it was foxfarms bonemeal 3-0-15 or something like that. Gives nitrogen and benefital microorganisms and for a four pound bag is like. 13-18 bucks. Now with egg shells ands probably some worm tea, I think il be ok.

Back