• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

pickling Eggplant Kusanadi, Brinjal Pickles, Relish

Hi Everyone

I really like this style of Eggplant Kusanadi and Brinjal pickles. I have never made it before or looked for a recipe but I was wondering if any of you had made it?

Now all of these that I have had use oil in them. What I want to know is do you process it just like a sauce to preserve it and is the oil enough to preserve it or do you need to add something else? I always thought that oil could contribute to spoilage but maybe that is just with sauces?

One other thing is if you are making these or a relish in large amounts how do you get away with not chopping each thing up by hand. Do you use some sort of food processor and does it come out consistent?
Any recipes for me to play around with would be greatly appreciated. Of course I will be adding some sort of hot chilli to it also, perhaps Bhut, 7 Pot, Brain Strain or Scorpions.

Thanks

Hi Everyone

I really like this style of Eggplant Kusanadi and Brinjal pickles. I have never made it before or looked for a recipe but I was wondering if any of you had made it?

Now all of these that I have had use oil in them. What I want to know is do you process it just like a sauce to preserve it and is the oil enough to preserve it or do you need to add something else? I always thought that oil could contribute to spoilage but maybe that is just with sauces?

One other thing is if you are making these or a relish in large amounts how do you get away with not chopping each thing up by hand. Do you use some sort of food processor and does it come out consistent?
Any recipes for me to play around with would be greatly appreciated. Of course I will be adding some sort of hot chilli to it also, perhaps Bhut, 7 Pot, Brain Strain or Scorpions.

Thanks

Not sure what all is in your recipe for the Brinjal but you are correct that oil will contribute to spoilage by it'self. the oil will be just fine as long as your recipe has vinegar and a bit of salt. If you are making bulk and concerned with all the chopping you can use a food processor but pulsate small amounts at a time, dont just press the on button and let it go or your consistency will be quite different. As far as adding peppers be mindful of using super hots like bhut's, they are my favorite pepper but not always the best choice. As they pickle over time they will overrun the entire taste of the Brinjal. Here is the recipe i use and it cans up quite nice:

About This Recipe
"This is a famous and very popular Brinjal-Eggplant Pickle recipe from Goa, India"
Ingredients
1 1/2 kg eggplants ( brinjal)
4 ounces ginger ( 5 inch)
6 ounces garlic cloves ( 3 North American large pods or 6 small pods)
5 ounces chili powder
1 tablespoon turmeric powder
2 tablespoons black mustard seeds, powdered
1 1/2 tablespoons fenugreek seeds, roasted and powdered
2 tablespoons cumin seeds, roasted and powdered
3/4 cup salt
1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups mustard oil (Indian grocery store) or 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil
1 1/2 tablespoons tamarind pulp or 1 1/2 tablespoons tamarind paste
curry leaves, from Indian grocery store (optional)
1 1/4 cups vinegar
Directions
Julianne or dice small brinjal-eggplant.
Layer brinjal with salt alternately. Let stand 4-5 hours till water separates from vegetable.
Squeeze in handfuls brinjal till water is removed. Keep in separate bowl.
Grind ginger and garlic in some of the vinegar to paste.
Heat oil till smoke starts rising. Fry brinjals two hand fulls at a time. Drain with slotted spoon and set aside. Wait for water to evaporate from oil, till the bubbles stop before frying another lot of brinjal.
Add and fry garlic and ginger paste for 5 minutes.
Add dry spices, fry 2 minutes.
Add vinegar and tamarind, mix well for 1 minute.
Add curry leaves and sugar, mix well.
Add brinjal mix well and cook 1-2 minutes.

Thanks heaps for that. I would only use a very small amount of superhots depending on the batch size. How many grams does your recipe make?

oh yes I have just seen that the ones I have in the fridge do have vinegar in them first before oil.
You mentioned mustard oil and vegetable oil and I have also seen soya bean oil in one. Are these the only ones that don't turn to a solid in the fridge?

Back