Eggs of some sort, but who's?

Eggs.jpg

Found mostly hanging downward on the bottom of an old pepper leaf.
(The leaf was turned upside down for the photo.)

ID appreciated.

Thanks

NEVERMIND!   They're LACEWING eggs!

Lucky guy. Lacewings are very good pest control, even better than ladybirds. What did you do right to get them there?

danish said:
Lucky guy. Lacewings are very good pest control, even better than ladybirds. What did you do right to get them there?

I dunnow.

Apart from tossing a few hornworms into the hedge, I just let nature run it's course.  Leafcutter bees, small caterpillars, etc. are just sort of ignored. (It's hard to ignore a hornworm when you see huge chunks of pepper plant devoured overnight!) The only real worry this year was an early season aphid invasion, but the wasps arrived before too long and wiped them out.

The thunderstorms we get have done far more damage to the plants, breaking off branches and blowing the plants off the tables. Next year I'll have to use some sort of tomato support cages for the leggy varieties.

You could use plant support wire. It's thick wire wrapped in PVC, commonly used with bonsai plants. Should add some structural support against wind if you get the stiff stuff, probably steel.

danish said:
You could use plant support wire. It's thick wire wrapped in PVC, commonly used with bonsai plants. Should add some structural support against wind if you get the stiff stuff, probably steel.

Sounds like a plan.  I could set up an overhead support wire over each table.
Or I may wind up building a light 'roof' frame to hold shade cloth during the stupid-hot months of May, June and July.

deerdog said:
Wow, they look like a fungi.

Beautiful.

Thought the same thing at first. Good to know what lacewing eggs look like, I felt terrible after I killed a few rove beetles, only to discover what they were the next day.

Psyllid eggs are also on stalks on the edge of the leaves,but are much smaller than the lacewing eggs and the stalks are not as long.

Geonerd said:
Eggs.jpg

Found mostly hanging downward on the bottom of an old pepper leaf.
(The leaf was turned upside down for the photo.)

ID appreciated.

Thanks

NEVERMIND!   They're LACEWING eggs!

Naw, that right that be leperchan poop. Then little buggers will wait in the bushes and steal all your beer. When they find no beer they crap all about the place just for spite.

Back