• Do you need help identifying a 🌶?
    Is your plant suffering from an unknown issue? 🤧
    Then ask in Identification and Diagnosis.

Eggs?

eggs.jpg

Sorry for the bad pic quality. This is a shot of a leaf from one of my plants, and the yellowish football shaped spots are eggs of some sort. The plants have been in the house for several weeks now. I recently ended up with aphids, then released some ladybugs. The eggs appear to be the size and shape of ladybug eggs; however, everything I've read and all the pictures I've found indicate ladybug eggs are usually laid in clusters. These are clearly not clustered. Your thoughts - ladybug eggs, or something else?

Difficult to tell from the pic. Some could be remnants of eggs from aphids that the ladies have wiped out or a few new ones the ladies missed if they're no longer on your plant. Give em a squish and see if they crackle or pop. :)

NNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, dem are lady bug eggs, don't make the same mistake I made through ignorance, the Silver guy is wrong, DON'T Kill dem!

Unless you have super vision you really can't see aphid eggs, now, take a real good look, the eggs will look like tiny little yellow pods, and even pods is a large word, little spikes, yellowish, them are lady bug larvae.

For God's sake, let them be, allow them to grow to maturity, arrrgh, I hope this message comes soon enough...........

Zoom you're pic in BC. There are only a few egg shaped pods in the pic and many more smaller elements that AREN'T any form of ladybug. And you CAN see aphid eggs with the naked eye.

BTW, she has 1500 of the good buggers, and squishing a few to examine the contents of the leaf isn't going to put a dent in the pop. :lol:

Wow, Mark....

No snap, crackle or pop at this point. Yes, little yellow pods, little spikes. Like I said, they very much look like the pics I've found of ladybug eggs, with the exception that they weren't in a cluster. And one more thing - they are flat on the leaf, while the pics I've found of ladybug eggs have the spikes sticking out from the leaves, rather than laying flat. So have you seen ladybug eggs that are both laying flat and not in a cluster? These eggs are larger than the adult aphids, so I'm thinking no way they are aphid eggs - or whatever aphid laid them had one heck of a time doing so....

DaQ - love you dearly, honey, but I am going to be one hungry chick if I make an omelet with those. :lol:

Now here's my latest conundrum - WHAT NOW??? Let's say they're ladybug eggs. Lovely, just lovely. The leaf is on my cayenne plant, and I just pulled all but the last pod off today, with the intent of giving ye-olde "severe haircut" and repotting for the winter. But it would seem that if these are ladybug eggs, I would want to keep at least that leaf on the plant, and it's nowhere near the bottom of the plant. What to do.... what to do....

The lady bugs I have seen lay eggs on the underside of the leaf in clusters. The pic doesn't look like any I've seen. There are many types of ladybugs so, maybe those are ladybug eggs. I wouldn't risk keeping them since it is so easy to buy more.

Ladybug eggs are generally attached to the underside of the leaf and are usually applied in a uniformed pattern, these eggs look like they've been laid after the bug had a heavy night of chili eating. plop,fart,fart,plop,fart,plop,fart,fart,fart,plop.

and you are right, the eggs would look like little spikes sticking out of the leaf, go ahead and squish them up.

Ladybug eggs are generally attached to the underside of the leaf and are usually applied in a uniformed pattern, these eggs look like they've been laid after the bug had a heavy night of chili eating. plop,fart,fart,plop,fart,plop,fart,fart,fart,plop.

and you are right, the eggs would look like little spikes sticking out of the leaf, go ahead and squish them up.

:rofl: I'm so glad I have your approval..... almost spit out my drink of tea at that one....

I've got the same things are under the leaves of 2 of our Purple Jalapeno. Was not thinging their where Lady bug eggs but really hope they where. Will keep an Eye on them as have seen the odd lady bug but never there larve witch from what I though eat the most bugs to get to pupate in to lady bug beetles. This site should add 2 Bug spots. one with bad bugs next with good bugs, with plants that can be added to get numbers of bad down and numbers of good up... As they work better then Poison and keep working,,, yes its not a great 100% job but must be some tricks to getting a better killing force..

Side note, I've got Butter flys in my garden, put plants, fruit and flowers almost for each kind that I can at this time still looking for more to add more kinds. But Have Damsil flys, Dragon fly, Skippers and Moths now, next doors plants are helping with adding the moths and one very cool butter fly thats really looking at my Passion fruit and may have laid eggs on it 2 days ago. The Dragon and Damsil fly are in my garden eating some thing, as are always there where as butter flys come drink, lay eggs and leave.

So as what I can remember it takes a few things to make a circle to keep the cycle going lady bugs eggs larve lady bugs,,, or any bugs needed to work for your garden,,, very cool to watch. Other herb and plants help abit as well. Have Garlic growing in one pot with chilies and is helping alot but chilies plants so small over ran with garlic, so may change. Plus garlic does not work with all bad bugs but helped with ahids so far. Jassmen has helped with ahids as well but only keeped numbers very low. Have a few that are left alone by all so far, Like Surnam cherry tree, Cactus like Suegro, Dragon fruit. Tomatoes we have are bugged by some white fuzzy bug but not ahids. Mulberry buged by 3 types of bugs so we just spray it... Passion fruit left along by all but the Jeazbel butter fly, and seem to help abit for getting other bugs put off of bugging their nabor plants but are not very close as will grab the close plants and mess em up...

Trying to learn more and teach more so poison not needed.
Like can you put a winter box and they winter on your land to get them out and about full forse rite from the get go as Ahids are there first..... Ideas like put 2 plant in 2 netted box, inter duce ahids to both put lady bug in one get it to lay eggs take larve out put in garden. Then put lady bug next box same same cycle adding the larve to plants in garden.... The trouble I've heard is letting the store bough lady bug is most leave and don't really work year round. All though hear great things about red mites that eat mites as they stay where you put them and as long as you add more mites for food will keep going, but must be feed as eat all the other mites then starve to death with out more mites to eat... Have heard about pill bugs helping keeping some ground bugs under control. I'm sure theres lot of people who know more about this then I.

Back