smokers Electric Smoker Suggestions/Reviews???

Hey everybody, I'm kicking some major butt in my fantasy football league. I'm in 1st place and I'm way ahead of everybody else. Assuming I maintain my lead I'll pull in $240 in winnings. I've been thinking about getting an electric smoker for peppers & meat. I want to go electric so that the temp is really easy to control.

There are so many models and brands that I'm having trouble choosing. Any suggestions? I think I prefer not to have a feeder because I don't want to have to mess with ordering special wood bricks (but I'm open to suggestions).

I'm looking to spend less than $300. Thx.

this thread has a lot of good suggestions
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/26463-propane-vs-electric/

We're pretty happy with our Masterbuilt electric smoker. There are pics in the above thread.
Hope you win~ :woohoo:

Liking my Brinkman Gourmet. Although the ability to drop the heat instead of blocking it would be nice the smoke still gets up there.

Bradley eletric smokers rocks and dont need to much attention!!!

FWIW. Was in Bass Pro Shops the other day checking out smokers. The Bradley I saw there, while seemingly very well constructed, had imo a rather flimsy rack setup. The steel gauge used for the racks was less than the other floor models and when I pulled the rack half way out the whole thing fell out of the track. I can only imagine this with an 8 lb. pork butt on it and the need to do a mop!

Posted on the other thread, but you may want to check out this link for electric smoker reviews:

http://www.amazingribs.com/BBQ_buyers_guide/smokers/electric_smokers.html

Stem:

If you are still in the evaluation phase, the Masterbuilt 30” electric was the best smoker for the money I saw on the floor at Bass Pro imo. I believe Home Depot has them as well; however, may be the wrong time of the year for stock. Salsa Lady spoke well of hers in the electric/propane thread. Was priced at the store for $170 (two days ago), now $130. :cheers:

http://www.basspro.com/Masterbuilt-30-Electric-Smoker/product/10204454/67397

Oh, I'm still waiting to get paid. The fantasy season isn't over yet. But it's going to be tough for anyone to catch me at this point. I'm 11-2 for the season so far. :)

11-2?!?!??? :woohoo:

I smell a smoker for you! :cool:

Has anyone figured out the difference in cost. 12 hrs smoking, running propane, electric heating element, or 1 bag of "Kingsford" ?

It seems like either the electric or propane would be an easy clean up. I have 2 Brinkman upright charcoal smokers. I really like them, considering they're a cheap investment that works. I guess the main question is: We all like to smoke, what kind of wood are you using and
What's on the Menu?... Beef, Pork, Chicken, Fish or............... PEPPERS!

Greg

Never bothered to figure out cost factors; however, just a hunch that electric & propane would be cheaper than charcoal in the long run. Not really concerned with the issue. FWIW, I have been using “cowboy charcoal”; chunk charcoal that I get at Home Depot. Believe it is a little cheaper per bag than Kingsford and the claim is that it’s all natural, no additives. Seems as though I remember reading an article about how briquettes are manufactured and the additional additives used in the process. This is not to say that I won’t grab some briquettes to use in the old Weber kettle when I want to grill some good steaks.

Woods:
Hickory – for all the red meats. Everyone’s go to I suppose. Nothing better than hickory smoked baby backs or a quality steak.
Cherry – Had to cut down a wild cherry tree a couple of years ago, I now have a lifetime supply. Use half cherry, half hickory for smoking pork butts and loins. The cherry adds a little sweetness to the finished bark.
Apple – My go to for chicken and turkey. Do not use anything else. I was “lucky” enough to have a good day a field this fall and shot three rough grouse (I enjoy bird hunting). Did them in the Weber with some apple chips; outstanding!
Maple – I have just begun using maple more often in place of hickory. Friend had to take down a sugar maple at his house awhile back. His payment for my assistance was a nice log of maple and several good I.P.A’s when we were done. The wood is now sufficiently dried to begin using.
Oak – I have tons of oak available; however, it just does not do anything for me so I rarely use it.
Mesquite – Throw some chips in with the hickory when using the smoker on pork. However, I find that I use mesquite less and less. No particular reason.
Herbs – The wife has an herb garden (even though I seem to be the one doing all the maintenance on it, per her instructions of course). Really like grabbing a handful of thyme, sage, rosemary and marjoram, putting them in a foil pouch when I grill up some chicken on the gas grill.

I tried smoking peppers last summer. Results were terrible! Wasted a good bunch of habs and jalapenos. I could not control the heat in my half ass smoker which resulted in a charred mess. Too much direct heat underneath the racks imo. May give it another go next year with my trusty old Weber kettle and indirect heat.

I am on a mission to find the “perfect” new smoker for my Xmas present to myself. It must be portable, easy to store, two door model and reasonably priced (sorry, no $900 smoker for me). Cannot decide between propane (for convenience) or charcoal (purist).

I'd personally avoid the bradley smoker. I had one and returned it because it broke before I could even use it. It also costs a small fortune for briquettes and I prefer to use my own free wood.
Propane units can be finicky since your cooking heat source is also your heat source for wood smoldering, and trying to get both just perfect does not always work out. Sort of the same with electric too
Good luck

Agree on the Bradley; as mentioned ^, it had a terrible rack setup. The floor salesman tried to tell me this was the best one they sell. Really?

Like you, I have amble supply of free wood (maple, oak, apple, etc.) from my own property and in the area (I live in a rural setting). I might as well take advantage of it. Charcoal does indeed get costly.

I absolutely need a smoker that I can easily move and store out of sight when not in use. No UDS allowed per the wife. Already have a Weber Genesis gas and Weber charcoal kettle grills so a smoker is just that, a smoker. Guess I am back to the 22.5” WSM. Found a site that has a number of mod tips for it, and the price is in my range. I need to eyeball one real close to see how the wood and water access door setup works.

Potawie, if you don’t mind me asking, what are you using?

I modified my old propane smoker into an electric cold/cool smoker for my sausages, jerky and fish. I also have a home-made cinder-block log burning smoker for large batches of sausages, as well as my cheap offset horizontal smoker for hot smoking.
I hope to build a UDS this winter and also start making plans for a new wooden smoke-house

build a smoke house,very easy. small shed style wooden building, dig a trench 6 feet to a pit where you burn your wood. i have had this type of setup several times,you can cure anything you want . i dry fish,pork,beef,chicken. on a regular base. if anyone wants detailed instructions i will share,

So, it would seem that I'm faced with the following:

Charcoal tastes better, but it's much more difficult to control the temps which is important for smoking peppers, cheeses, jerky, etc.

Electric are easier to control and the set-it-and-forget-it feeders are great in the winter, but they cost more and there are more components to break (feeder & heating element).

Propane... tanks. bleh. pain in the ass. (maybe not, but for some reason I'm not inclined to look at propane)

I've got a good charcoal grill that I'm able to smoke meats on already. I'm really wanting something specifically for peppers and jerky.

My wife & I are hoping to be on the market for our first home this spring. I'm hoping to find a place with enough property to build a real smokehouse. :)

As for wood...

I use a mix of cherry and apple for pork steaks & chicken.

I use hickory and cherry for ribs.

I just picked up a bag of pecan chips. I've been thinking about doing a pecan-smoked grilled turkey. We were on the road for Thanksgiving so i didn't get to make a turkey this year. :(

Back